View Single Post
Old 03-31-2019, 11:58 PM   #38
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

2 October 2015

Galway United v. Cobh Ramblers
Eamonn Deacy Park, Galway

GK: Darcy Bradford
D: Alan Woods, Sean Glynn, Roy Murphy, Kenneth Díaz (C)
DM: Aaron O'Connor
MC: Kieron Russell, Billy Ryan
AM: Peter Johansson, Gareth Kearney
ST: Declan Nolan

A few of the lads, namely Russell and Ryan, were feeling worried they might let the team down as we pushed for the title. Kieron's nervousness made sense. Our staff have noted that he doesn't particularly care for important matches. Billy, on the other hand, surprised me, because he's known for the exact opposite quality.

Pasquale Van Daele was still injured, and I chose Damion Watson for the bench. That meant Peter Johansson would move back up front, and he'd be joined by Gareth Kearney.

Gareth promptly made me look like a master tactician. The play began as so many of our threats begin: with a powerful throw into the penalty area by Kenneth Díaz. Roy Murphy rose up to head the ball back to Díaz, who curled it first time toward the near post. Again Murphy leaped, won a header, and nodded it down to Declan Nolan. He slipped it to Kearney, who fired a laser to the upper right corner that Ramblers goalie Mark Murphy probably never saw.

Some sloppy defending allowed the visitors to draw level. They earned a free kick about 25 yards from our goal. Brendan O'Connor launched it at the far post. Alan Woods and Aaron O'Connor let a big lad, Darren O'Neill, leave them flat-footed, and O'Neill had time to let the ball drop before he volleyed it past Darcy Bradford.

I took my time with my halftime team talk, and almost all the boys were green and happy when they ran out for the second half. Right before the hour mark, Kieron Russell slipped the ball ahead to Nolan at the edge of the area. Murphy parried away his drive, but Kearney raced past his marker, collected it, and slashed back across a sprawling Murphy and in.

We barely had time to celebrate the goal before Ramblers again pulled even. This time the goal was a good one, courtesy of Craig McNamara, who had entered the game only two minutes earlier.

I think both managers, myself and Conor Skinner, believed a draw was the most likely outcome. He used his substitutions early, making like-for-like swaps for tiring players. I took Declan Nolan off when he got (another) knock, bringing on Gary Joyce. Then I pulled O'Connor, who was suffering through a rare off night. I shifted Johansson to DM and brought in Thomas Kelly on the right wing. With seven minutes to go in regular time, I replaced an exhausted Russell with Glen Scully.

I realized I never mentioned signing Scully. That's probably because I added him during the busy days at the end of the summer transfer window, when so much attention was focused on our goalkeeping situation. Glen is a 17-year-old midfielder whom Manchester City discarded in late June. I envisioned him as a lad who might make our Under 19 team more competitive, and I liked his Resolute personality and his determined character. Our scouts rated him fairly highly, and I thought he was worth a flyer. Glen had played well for the U19s, so I gave him a spot on the bench over a handful of older players who don't enjoy big matches.

One minute into stoppage time, I thought the match was ours. The High King Peter calmly dispossessed an opponent and launched an appropriately majestic long ball in the direction of Sean Glynn. The Everton man won the header, directing it toward Kearney...who headed it home!

The assistant referee's flag was up. The call was the right one, but it still stung.

Not a minute later, Murphy challenged McNamara robustly inside the box, and he made contact with the Ramblers man. While everyone in blue screamed for a penalty, referee Robert Harvey insisted the teams play on. At the other end, Joyce stung Murphy's palms.

We kept the pressure on, earning a corner and a free kick. Billy Ryan took the latter, delivering a nice ball in the direction of Scully, who collected it and turned. Then O'Neill clattered him, sending him to the turf, and this time Mr. Harvey pointed at the spot. Again, the official was assailed by a host of Ramblers, to no avail.

I wondered if Kearney, on a hat trick, would take the penalty. He's only fair at them, however, and I was not the least bit disappointed when Thomas Kelly stepped up. Very sharp-eyed readers might remember that Kelly, who has played only 566 minutes this season, has scored two penalties this season.

Make that three. Kelly confidently drilled the ball high to the right, and even though Murphy dove the correct way, there was nothing he could do.

St. Pat's walloped Cork City, 4-1. Then, today, Derry City went to Dundalk and came away with a stunning 3-0 victory!

Two more to play, but first, the Senior Challenge Cup Semi Final.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 04-01-2019 at 12:03 AM. Reason: a few typos, etc.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote