View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 07:14 AM   #8
Groo
Mascot

Well, I found out my offensive gameplan does not suit Bryan Rogers (55% completion rate). Frustrating because Rogers had a solid preseason. Will give Parliman a chance in preseason next year. Hopefully, one of he can show us something next season.

Our defense also did not play up to expectations. I understand I had a lot of rookies and we should do better next season... but Korey Floyd only had 4.5 sacks, while last minute pickup John Todd had 7.5. I need more from Floyd in coming seasons, otherwise his big rating really doesn't mean much. Had several guys that didn't improve as I'd hoped.

Special teams wasn't as special as I'd hoped either. Have 3 guys with 100 ST bars, my punt returner's bar is 81 and kick returner 88. Neither performed up to my expectations. I hired a rookie kicker hoping to increase my kickoff effectiveness, but I lost a LOT of FG accuracy (went from 75% last season to 61% this season). Most likely the reason we lost several close games. Our punter was almost everything we'd hoped for. Would like to have seen a few more In20 punts and less TBs... but overall did a great job.

On positive notes, had 5 guys creep a little this season.

2 on offense:
RB Butch Carlson +7/+3 - got this guy mostly for ST as he had a 100 ST bar. Probably be our starting RB next season, depending on Cassidy's TC.
WR Oliver Penn +12/+5 - Was hoping at least one of my two WRs would make a move like this.

Both creeping offensive players still are showing green in some bars, so I hope they will both creep a bit more.

3 on defense:
LB Dan Mueller +14/+4 - Was expected. Had him as one of the top five players in the rookie class. Should be a centerpiece for a long time.
CB Harold Ashcraft +12/+5 - Another top defensive player who had an expected boost and good stats season. Need another CB to complement his skills.
SS Charles Hilliard +20/+3. Not much creeping, but it's good where he is. Had a solid season.

Hilliard has some more green, the other two are likely done. Good news is that all 3 played up to my expectations.

So, it looks like I have a core group of players, plus my offensive line did an excellent job this season as well (12th in sacks allowed and 1st in Blocking %).

So, I like the way this team is starting to look. My big concerns next season are to get a better kicker, get a QB who fits our system better, and get at least 1 more WR for said QB to throw to. I also need to find a few more players who fit my defense better. Some are just not going where I'd like to see them go.

Not a successful season... but a good building year.

Good luck to all the playoff teams... give 'em hell!
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote