View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 12:00 PM   #35
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Well, you continue to hold the title as the champion of false equivalency. We're talking about two different things here, but if you want to go with your comparision...

We've brought the cost of home computers down and many can get a stripped down version of a powerful machine when they didn't have access before. But if I want a top of the line rig, I have to pay for it.

Airlines have become less luxurious for travel, but there are more options than there were 20 or 30 years ago and it costs less. If I want to be treated royally, then I pay more. They still get me to where I need to go on time about 90% of the time.

If you want to view airline travel as an "experience" that's fine. You have to pay more for that. But it really has become just a mode of transportation, moving millions daily, safely and mostly on time. We, as a market, don't want to pay luxury prices for that. Could airlines run better or differently? Sure, but the market isn't really demanding that right now.

Yeah I obviously made my point very poorly based on your response.

My point was the cost to operate an airline is (dramatically) lower today than it was. The cost build a plane is lower than it was. The cost to operate the plane is lower than it was. And yes the price of a ticket is lower than it was. When you combine lower costs with competition sales price decreases.

Profits are up across the industry.

Yet airline employees today are less happy than ever before and airline passengers today are less happy than ever before.

That's not a properly run and sustainable business model in my opinion.

I'm not asking for luxury. I'm simply asking for reasonable accommodations. Again you point out that ticket prices are cheaper, but you also get less for your dollar.

Today's first class domestic is inferior to the 80s coach, smoke free air excluded.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote