View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 05:21 PM   #5
Izulde
Head Coach

I wonder if Antony Holmberg has regrets about not going to Coastal Carolina. They're 3-3 and he would have been a starter there, too. The Chanticleers have 20 prestige, and my guess is he'd have been a focal part of the offense for them as well. But I guess the military regimen appealed to him more than the traditional college experience he could have had.

Colin Ogden - We've inched ahead of UNC-Greensboro, and this is why we never bow out in a two school race.

Bobby Henry - 1st on the list with the only offer, but behind is Oral Roberts, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Cincinnati.

Noel Williams - Offers from Nicholls State, VCU, and Southern, and we're last of the 4, but we'll see how the campus visit goes. Notre Dame is 5th on his list.

Game 6 - @Eastern Kentucky
BULLDOGS WIN! BULLDOGS WIN! 62-52 triumph engineered by 18 points, 6 rebounds and a steal from Antony Holmberg with 5 points, 11 rebounds and a block from Andrew Peters. Holmberg is our first Player of the Game of the season! Last year, we were 1-11. Now we're 1-5, so already a dramatic improvement.

Game 7 - @ #21 South Carolina
A taste of what big time basketball is like, and we lose 40-70. Our freshmen looked completely dazed by Ess Eee See hoops. Herschel Deberry is a redshirt, and my coaches say he's really only R/Y, so we maybe dodged a bullet there?

Game 8 - @ #21 Georgia
My AD is a moron. The SEC roadtrip continues with two straight #21 opponents, and we're clearly the inferior 'Dawgs, losing 38-63. 8 points each for Antony Holmberg and Earle Vega as our leading scorers, and yeah.

Game 9 - @ Liberty
Kick in the teeth. 56-58 L. Earle Vega is a lousy shot (3-9), but accumulates 13 points and a steal thanks to a flawless 7/7 from the line. We sorely need more talent on this team.

Game 10 - vs South Carolina State
They've won just 2 games on the year, so I'm banking on this as a winnable game. Naturally, we lose 51-62, wasting a solid shooting night from Earle Vega for his 14 points.

Game 11 - vs Elon
Huge 61-59 upset win to open SoCon play! After getting shut down the last several games due to fouling out, Antony Holmberg breaks out for 23 points, 6 rebounds and a block, and Earle Vega hits for 16 points. Andrew Peters contributes with 6 points, 8 rebounds.

Game 12 - @ Furman
Damn. 41-52 L. Really thought we had a shot at opening up conference play 2-0. Earle Vega with 16 points and 6 rebounds, most of it at the charity stripe, but he got no help.

One of our scrubs gets academically suspended. Noel Williams opts for VCU. But we get commitments from Bobby Henry and Colin Ogden. Ogden I haven't evaluated yet, but here's Henry.

Lifetime Recruiting Battles
Akron: 0-1
Coastal Carolina: 1-0
Davidson: 0-1
South Carolina: 0-1
UNC-Greensboro: 1-0
VCU: 0-1
Winthrop: 0-1

Roman Kvasha and Dan Scurre, a Russian and a British point guard respectively, become our next targets. We really need to improve our floor general play, and one or both of these guys should be a huge advantage. Neither one has an offer yet, either.

Game 13 - vs Samford
And here's a sweet 53-45 win. 12 points, 7 rebounds and a block from Antony Holmberg. 13 points and 2 steals from Earle Vega, and Andrew Peters adds 7 points, 2 blocks and a steal. I really do like how our post game is developing. Holmberg is PotG.

Game 14 - @Appalachian State
I go in to every game now thinking we have a shot at winning. And of course that means we're blown off the court, 46-65. 9 points and 2 steals from Antony Holmberg is our best showing in this stinkfest.

Game 15 - @UNC-Greensboro
We just beat them out for a recruit, and they get revenge by topping us 59-68 for just their second win of the year. Hate wasting Earle Vega's career high 19 points this way.

Game 16 - vs College of Charleston
The dream of a good season is going up in smoke, 39-69 stomping, and even though this Charleston university is having a great campaign (10-7, 5-1), it's still dispiriting.

Game 17 - @ UT-Chattanooga
Best team in the conference, so I'm not at all surprised by 43-85 blowout. We're getting exposed, after an early good start.

Game 18 - vs Wofford
Another fucking frustrating defeat, 68-70. 9 points, 7 rebounds, a block and 2 steals from Antony Holmberg, 11 points from Earle Vega. Our scrubs actually stepped up this game, but to no avail.

Game 19 - @ Wofford
We take out our frustrations on the Terriers, crushing them 58-42. 12 points, 5 rebounds via Antony Holmberg and 6 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks and a steal from Andrew Peters. Some bench scrub is PotG.

Game 20 - @ Elon
If we can beat Elon here, we not only sweep the season series, but tie our conference win total from last year. 57-66 L. Our freshmen did nothing of note.

Still, as of February 1st, we've already tied last year's total wins, and here's Colin Ogden's card.

Our talent level is really blossoming, and I thought this was going to be a terrible recruiting year.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote