View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 06:06 PM   #30
Izulde
Head Coach

Jesus Moya
More teams are starting to catch on. Texas, Ohio State, Villanova, and the obligatory BYU are non-offers, but damn it, stay away from my Spanish big man!

Timmy Rogers
Non-offer Illinois is his #1, but we're up to #2, with Western Kentucky, Southern Mississippi, and Wisconsin non-offers in the hunt.

Kevin Gulley
Forgot to offer him last time, so will do it now. We're not in his Top 5, which is now littered with Southeast powerhouses.

Game 3: @ Evansville
58-59 L. There goes our unbeaten streak

Game 4: vs Gardner-Webb
68-64 W to get back on track. 18 points each for Antony Holmberg and Trent Buckley, with Holmberg adding in 6 boards for PotG honors. Bobby Henry also grabs 6 rebounds, and adds 12 points besides.

Game 5: vs Maryland-Eastern Shore
How embarrassing. 72-78 L to a 1 win team. At least it's an authentic loss, not a bullshit one like Game 3. 17 points, 7 rebounds from Antony Holmberg, 14 rebounds for Andrew Peters, and 15 and 11 respective points for Trent Buckley and Ivan Pugh. We lost this one because Bobby Henry was 4 of 16, and we lost Earle Vega for 28 days. Ugh.

Game 6: @ UT-Arlington
Trent Buckley is moved to SG and Ivan Pugh is promoted to starting PG. We also auto-adjust our gameplan. 82-58 stompfest keyed by PotG Trent Buckley's 26 points and 5 steals! and Bobby Henry's 20 points. Interesting side note: Earle Vega has dropped to red/green as a result of his broken foot.

Game 7: vs South Carolina State
Crazy, crazy game. 94-114 L, smashing more records. 22 points for Bobby Henry, 20 for Richard Rameriz, 19 for Ivan Pugh and 14 for Trent Buckley. Our bigs got completely shut down, and all both teams did was shoot, shoot, and shoot some more.

Game 8: @ South Florida
If we lose here, our hot start vanishes into .500 blahness. Granted, even if we lose all the rest of our non-con games, we'll have smashed the record for most wins going into the SoCon part of the schedule, but damn... happily, 97-80 win! What a beautiful 33 point, 1 block, 2 steal game by Antony Holmberg, which beats Bobby Henry's 31 point game from last year, and makes him the first Citadel player other than Henry to score 30+ (Henry also scored 30 against Akron his freshman year I believe it was).

Anyway, Andrew Peters with 11 points, 8 boards, 2 steals, Trent Buckley with 13 points, 5 assists, and 2 steals, and Ivan Pugh with 11 points to round out the scoring. Makes me feel quite comfortable in our backcourt the next couple years, to be honest.

Game 9: @ Savannah State
Or maybe not that comfortable. 63-84 L. Colin Ogden lives at the free throw line for 16 points, 13 rebounds off the bench (10 of 17 from charity stripe), 14 points by Antony Holmberg and 10 for Trent Buckley.

Game 10: vs #7 Georgia Tech
Remember when we had those back to back games against Top 25 SEC teams? Well, say hello to the 9-1 Yellowjackets, who lost their last game and are buzzing mad. They sting us 56-83, and everyone shot ugly except Ivan Pugh, who was 8 of 12 for 20 points. 10 bench boards by Colin Ogden.

Despite the disappointment of the cold snap after the hot start, we have to be pretty damned please with a 5-5 non-conference mark. It's our best by far, and those 5 victories alone would be better than two of our previous years.

But I'm hungry for more. Oh so much more.

Kevin Gullley goes to George Mason, but it's only a one month offer, so he doesn't count against. However, Western Kentucky's getting Darrin Cole last season *does* count, because we pursued him with an offer for more than one month, and I forgot to record it.

Lifetime Recruiting Battles
Akron: 0-1
Cincinnati: 0-1
College of Charleston: 1-0
Coastal Carolina: 2-0
Davidson: 0-1
Georgia: 0-1
Maryland Eastern-Shore: 0-1
New Orleans: 0-1
South Carolina: 0-1
UNC-Greensboro: 1-0
VCU: 0-1
Villanova: 0-1
Western Kentucky: 0-1
Winthrop: 0-1

Jesus Moya finally commits, giving our second genuine big man after all the short guys we recruited the last few years (Ogden, Manion, Ludwig).

Raw, and an obvious redshirt candidate, but the sky is the damn limit with this kid in some key areas if my scouts are right. He could become the guy that Andrew Peters never did.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote