View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 07:52 AM   #127
QuikSand
lolzcat

Post-Draft Reality Check

We have a chance to get a closer look at our roster, both the rookies and the veterans, as we begin mini-camps. What we see, candidly, is just awful. This is a veteran team – we knew that – but the losses we suffered this year are particularly discouraging. At least eight players suffered meaningful losses, as age starts to wear on them.

I am not too surprised that guys like 12th year CB John Raab and 12th year S David Pplata saw some dip in ratings – this is where it shows up, and they are the right age. But I’m disappointed to see 10th year LB Steven Watkins take a dip also – that hurts us up front. And right on down the line, we lost meaningful points to importanbt players. Very bad news.

On our offense, we head toward training camp with some new questions. One relatively minor one is whether veteran RB Courtney Criswell will make the team at all. We signed him this year thinking he’d be at least our #2 running option, perhaps behind Morimasa. However, a bad minicamp has me wondering if he is worth the investment – if either of our young running backs stap up, they could claim his job and cost Criswell his spot.

And the even bigger question is right at the top, as 15th year QB Hilton Boner has eroded substantially as well – and now his once-firm grip on the starting job is very much in question. For him, he probably has to end up in one of two spots – either our #1 QB and opening day starter, or else out the door. He makes $3m this year, on a contract that had to go next season anyway. Right now, I think it’s a true three-way race to see who starts this year for us, and with a pretty good minicamp, Harry Ross is very much a part of that race.

Incidentally, I also probably will save the team the trouble of signing our 4th round draft pick CB Steven McWilliams, who looks like a clunker. Fifth rounder LB Perry Hoffman will be a tougher decision, as he doesn’t have the affinity we believed he would (too low a personality score?) and without that, brings fairly little to the team. So, it looks like we will uphold our tradition of missing badly with late round picks.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote