View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 07:57 AM   #128
QuikSand
lolzcat

We had a little mishap with the first stages of late free agency (a team submitted enough FA bids to land a hundred players, which is a known bug with the MP game and is against the league rules - but was apparently never actually added to the constitution). So, I have re-written this piece, as my initial reactions were based on outcomes that did not materialize on the second try... more to come...

- - -

Late Free Agency

As we ponder the core to the team, and the number of crumbling veterans making it up, we begin the process of filling in with undrafted rookies. I actually have some enthusiasm about some of these guys – so perhaps we’ll see some good news from our rookie class down here in the depths, to recover from what is now looking like a mostly disappointing draft. (We still have high hopes for S Herman Padgett, though)

Among our early round of “misfit toys” pickups are QB Ernest Biddle, a guy I’d like a lot if he didn’t have a conspicuously low rating in avoiding interceptions. He’s a profile I have had some success with in the past – his real strengths are in the “lower” ratings like reading defenses, accuracy, and sensinng the rush. We’ll keep a close eye – a camp breakout probably means he makes the team and makes things even tougher on old man Hilton Boner.

Safety Jeff McCartney is 216 pounds, probbly too heavy to switch to cornerback, where he might be better suited overall. Great eye for the ball (maxed out int potential, it seems) and he might have some upside. We have some young offensive linemen in the fold as well – we will hope for some promising roster fillers there. We pick up a handful of other youngsters, who we will have to see more closely in training camp to have a final sense. There are only so many slots truly open for competition – but as usual, I am falling in love with a number of these fresh faces, making the final cuts a tougher project than it should be.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote