View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 07:47 AM   #28
Dandelion
Mascot

absolute agreement to what dutch posted above and to what jdavidbakr wrote about accessibility of the UI..

I would either like to have more options and control - see below - or more things managed by the AI of the game, per global rules set by the player.

more control would mean:

- control more aspects of the training camp. Train players not as a global team, but as units or even on a "per player" base. If I've got a rookie who lacks endurance he should (and in RL would, I expect..) get some extra time working the weights and running.

- in preparation for a draft I would expect not only to have the - often flawed - impression of my scout about a player and a number of combine results, but also facts like: which system did he play on college.. what were his stats there.. and I would like to have the option to sort through the draftees on a base of personal preferences.. Position, system played in college, certain bar values..
oh, and maybe a bit of push by the scout along the line of "take a closer look at this guy, he might be worth it in our style of play.." would be nice

- in preparation for a game I would like to have a lot more information and control about play situations. Stats for the opponent, like which formation is used most often in certain situations.. which formations do they prefer to run or pass from.. and for me the option to bring on my defense formations not only on a percentage of plays base, but as a reaction to what they see on the field. Right now it makes not much difference if the opponent's offence comes out for a 3rd and 1 in a Goalline Formation or a I with Slot WR. Neither it makes much of a difference if it happens early or late in the game when the score is tied.. but a 3rd and 1 for the opponent with 30 seconds to go in the game on my 10 yard line might need a total different approach than a 3rd and 1 for the opponent after 2 (still tied..) minutes of play at his own 45.. think about risks here..

- more control about how my offense works.. yes, I can set percentages where to run to globally. But isn't there again a small difference between a run at a 3rd and 1 or a 1st and 10? And depending on score, field position and time to play left?

Yes, several of the aspects of control of plays could be done by personally making the calls.. but I don't have time for that. And if I would do all that "micromanagement" on my own, what would I need the coaches for anyway?

less control would mean:

- set up a "style of play" for defense/offense and rules for how to handle special situations. Like: I want you to play a 3/4 with a lot of blitzes. Offense should be run heavy and time grinding, unless we fall back.
We got some of that already, but for a "I just hire the players - the coaches do the rest" approach the AI of the game lacks a bit... fexibility. Players are put into positions not by way of abilities, but by total value.. a WLB in a 3/4 with superb skills in Pass Rush Technique and Strength but mediocre values in all the other skills and a 0 in Special Teams ends as a backup, because there's a player who's total value makes him a little better LB, but worse blitzer. Or in a game against an opponent who favours the run, there would be a LCB in the 1st spot who is great at all pass defense, but his backup, who is a little less skilled there, but a lot better in run defense would stay on the bench.

So, in total I'd say:
More control means more information, too. Less control would mean the games' AI has to be improved.
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote