View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Rawhide
High School Varsity

July 20 - The board want to know what my ambition is for this season. I cross my fingers behind my back and tell them we can avoid relegation. They clap their hands and give me $170,000 in weekly wages for the entire squad. We are currently spending nearly double that amount already. My transfer budget is also set at the princely sum of $0.

I try to search the market for interested players who would want to move to the south end of Cornwall for peanuts. Not surprisingly, there are none.

I sigh and walk to the training paddock, dodging unmowed clumps of grass and the occasional pile of dog shit as I drag the bag of training cones.

July 22 - Apparently a consortium is planning a takeover of Truro City and is working out how to buy out the current board. This could mean a desperately-needed fix of funds. It could also mean a rookie manager with almost no tactical nous gets shafted for somebody they're more comfortable working with.

July 30 - Bookmakers have us as a 80/1 chance for promotion. I think that's rather generous, possibly missing another zero, or two.

August 1 - The rumours of a takeover are confirmed. Local fish and chip shop owner Kevin Heaney is prepared to pay up to $120,000 for ownership of the club, and invest a further $90,000 to get the club up to scratch. While that's a lot of cooking oil and potatoes, I think it will take more than that to be successful. Regardless, the board place me under a transfer embargo while they work out details with Heaney. Since I've been knee-capped in the transfer market, this is no big news.

My assistant has told me that all of the players we currently have on the books - all 13 of them - have their contracts expiring at the end of this season. A massive rebuilding project lies ahead.
The clouds methought would open and show riches ready to drop upon me, that, when I wak'd, I cried to dream again.
Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote