View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 10:45 PM   #18155
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The work to get back to the championship game began the day after the loss.

And back we went ... with a better but ultimately unhappy ending.

After getting demolished last year 41-3, we found ourselves with 10-0 halftime lead against the mighty ELCA. Opportunistic defense forced two turnovers that led to an early field goal, a 52 yard down the sideline out of the wildcat formation, and things certainly looked a lot better.

Aaaaaand then ELCA scored 20 points in the first 5:30 of the second half, we got back within 20-17 in the final minute of the third quarter ... but our own turnovers mounted & ELCA's skill positions took control resulting in a 44-17 final, giving them their fourth consecutive title (only the third team in state history to do that).

The goal for Acad was to work their butts off to close the gap that was clearly illustrated last year. That goal was achieved, the gap IS closer than it was. Unfortunately it's still sizable.

On the bright side we're still relatively young in a lot of spots. We'll have to replace a lot of linemen and some key defenders but the core should remain solid. RB/LB star is a junior, the QB is a sophomore, the DB/WR is a sophomore as well.

The down side? ELCA was probably down this year, with 13 new starters most of whom will be back. They're arguably younger than we are. 4 in a row and they may not be done yet.

Helluva group of kids -- the seniors are last ones that Will actually went to high school with at any point -- they did every single thing that was asked of them and then some. And the work to close that gap further begins tomorrow.