View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #53
Dandelion
Mascot

I'm not so sure what to make of your theory.. I think, there are at least some aspects of FOF2k7 that might get in the way.. for example:

- in a test game (more about that later..) my backup ILB was on the field on the second defensive play. The second TOTAL defensive play. He actually backups the WILB an SILB in my team, but both have not that bad Endurance (89 resp. 48) and both were neither injured nor tired. And both were at 100% starters playing time.. formation was a "strong man, cover 7" from the basic 3-4 I play. So what did that guy do to get on the field?
And as he did, what if it happens with other players too?

- I LOVE blitzes.. so I've set a blitz rate of 100% on all plays outside the redzone. But as it seems to me, that the game doesn't handle multiple blitzers too well, there's only one player ordered to blitz.
In 90% of the plays it's the SLB (.. and as in all 3-4 the WLB) who goes for the QBs head. In the other 10% it's either the WILB or the SILB who blitzes.
BUT.. from the Nickel or Dime formation there's a differance.. In the Nickel the WILB goes off the field to be replaced by a CB/S - okay.. so - logically - he also replaces the WILB in the blitzing sheme.. which means one less defender in the backfield, negating the backfield advantage of the Nickel defense.. I think the same holds true for the Dime..

- Blitzes again.. how comes, that although I put in 0% as the chance to blitz for the SS/FS the FS from the Dime formation - who is in there as the FS, not as an replacement for a LB - does blitz? Ok.. not often.. just as often as the 5% for WILB/SILB in my playbook allow.. but he shouldn't blitz at all.. so.. what does FOF2k7 do internally to mix that up?

- oh.. and before I forget it.. the game puts You into Nickel formation on automatic sometimes.. usually when the opponent comes up with a 4+ WR formation (and/or in the last minutes of the first and second half..) For me that messes a bit with my usual playbook.. I usually only want my guys in Nickel or Dime Formation when the go aggressively after the pass.. so it's 50/50 at agg. pass and lotsa 0 in agg. run, run and pass.. nonetheless there are the occasions when the log says: "Nickel B&R" at a 3rd and 2.. *cough*

Nonetheless I played one (!!) test match to get some data.. had to type all the stuff from the htm output into a spreadsheet.. *sigh*

here's the result for a mediocre Pittsburgh Def - 3-4, lotsa blitzes, DL, LB and Backfield all mediocre in most cases.. some Rookies in there, too.. - against an at least as bad Baltimore Ravens offense..

Off. vs. Def.
Pass vs. Agg. Pass
7/21 Completions, 83 Yard (15 YAC), 5 1st Downs, 6 Blocked/Deflected, 4 Inc, 1 Int, 2 Sack -8 Yard, 2 Penalty + 20 Yard - looks good to me...

Pass vs. Pass
6/13 Comp., 76 yard (5 YAC), 4 1st Downs, 1 TD, 1 Blocked/Deflected, 3 Inc, 1 Int, 2 Sack -17 Yard - bit high on the yards, but not too bad..

Pass vs. Run
7/12 Comp., 86 yard (13 YAC), 5 1st Downs, 1 blocked/Deflected, 1 Inc, 1 Int, 1 Sack -6 Yard, 1 Penalty -10 Yard - again, a bit high on yards, but my def sucks..

Pass vs. Agg. Run
None - I only allow Agg. Run def at 4th an 1 or 2.. ordinary run def all the rest of the way..

Run vs. Agg. Pass
4 Runs, 24 Yard, 1 1st Down - mostly from 1st and 10.. the 1st down resulted from a 2nd 10 run..

Run vs. Pass
7 Run, 30 Yard, 2 1st Down - a 2nd and 10 and a 2nd and 3 were made.. the rest came from first downs

Run vs. Run
7 Run, 25 Yard, 1 1st Down, 1 Penalty -10 Yard - again the conversion came from a 2nd and 10.. the rest were again mostly 1st and 10s..

Diverse
2 Scramble vs. Agg. Pass for 17 Yard gain, 1 1st Down - from a 3rd and 10 and a 1st and 10.. the first succeeded, the second didn't..

I have not yet gone through all the formations and the effects they might have, but it seems, the 3 Deep is the most dangerous to either run or pass. Most of the long yardage gains were against a 3 Deep.

I do NOT use any double coverage.. I tried it a couple of games and my Backs seemed to go dozy and the completion ratings didn't get lower, but higher.. and when I take a look at the messages in the log, how often my QBs stick the ball into double coverage without getting deflected or intercepted, I am not too sure that double coverage is as powerfull as it should be.. especially with the many passes going to the 2nd ord 3rd WR, TE or RB/FB

So.. my "impressions" with little - nearly no - data.. any numbercruncher out there to get us more insight?

Last edited by Dandelion : 08-02-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote