View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #86
aadam
n00b

Hi everyone, I bought the game 2 days ago and I'm not sure I completely understand defense play calling. Let me ask a few noob question, if someone took the time to answer them (ok, some of them), I would be grateful. I'm from Europe so please forgive me for any possible language mistakes.

1) How are blitzers determined? (LB, CB, S?)

2) Why is a 1-deep, loose man defense "very vulnerable to any kind of passing attack, particulary to short passes" when a 2-deep, loose man is not? I guess the only difference is one safety not positioning in deep zone which in fact should make it more effective against short passes, not weaker.

3) What is exactly a loose man defense? BnR is slightly better against short passes but what is the advantage of loose man? Run defense? Should I ever call loose man if my LBs and secondary are more effective playing BnR?

4) How to play zone defense? Both loose man and BnR are man-to-man systems with only the safeties playing zone. Strong/weak side man cover feature a CB and 1/2 linebackers playing zone. But in the standard formations, LBs never defend zones?

5) Does that also mean that zone defense skill for LB is mostly irrelevant? And, since they are not usually lined up against wide receivers, they don't bump into them too often. Safeties never do. So how important BnR defense is to them?

6) One last questions. Does it make sense to call a run/pass oriented play and focus on the other option? Like, lining up a nickel/dime formation and expecting run? I guess WRs would be covered by the extra CBs while the LBs and safeties defend against running plays.
aadam is offline   Reply With Quote