View Single Post
Old 04-16-2023, 06:52 PM   #201
Flasch186
Coordinator

Just venting a bit. Aiden's turned it on since the decision although the hot start has drifted back to average which TBF I'll take. He's been hitting the ball and he's actually done a good job pitching although sans Velo. He has not gotten aggressive in the OF yet. He is nerous when charging sharp grounders/liners because (I'm assuming some PTSD from 11u when) a few in the same game went under his glove to the fence. Anywho, he's on the MS team which overlaps with the Club team, the one he chose to slide to the B team for spring to build confidence. The MS team is comprised of 8th graders who miss games if JV games conflict, 7th graders inc, Aiden and a handful of 6th graders. At the begging of the season the coaches were still clearly figuring out which Aiden was here. Well he's done really well: he's the top 7th grader when it comes to OBP and he's batting .360 which is the 2nd highest 7th grader (8/8/8/7/Aiden).

On the B club team he's been equally good: He's 2nd in avg (.375). He's been a leader and his pitching has been a surprise: WHIP 1.615, 7W, 5K, P/IP 15.2, <3% 58.46, and a S% of 54.82. For a kid that has not gotten into serious pitching I'm impressed. HE is going to work the next few years adding size, muscle and velo but I digress.

Here's the problem and rub (for me anyways). He's given up 11R but only 3 have been earned. It's just such bad baseball behind him when he's on the mound. We're talking error fest '97. its crazy. Yesterday he was staring at an 8 pitch inning and it ended up being 23 with a bunch of runs scoring. He keeps his chin up and I know that there's a lesson in there about not piling on, not getting down no your boys, etc. He's done a great job of leading, laughing and not pointing fingers. I do NOT think that that could've happened without moving teams and schools. He's so much more confident (gotten a GF of all things) that it's affecting everything.

Here's what ticks me off. They've been leaking the potential of a change in roster with Aiden coming up, the kudos and proud of yous are happening a lot. So Aiden's been floating awaiting a chance to play with the A team. Another kid on the B team has always been a med. player for advanced baseball in the area however he's immobile. He can only pitch and play first and at both he's a liability in the field. That being said, getting to know the dad for a few weeks I grew to learn that think that their son is tremendous! He only left his last advanced team because they wanted to make him a PO (duh) and he didn't want to be a PO so here they are, I guess insulted being on the B Team. So he doesn't show for the last few practices or games. I'm thinking he quit or something. Well come to find out... he's on the A team because the dad brought in bullying sensitivities from school, the coach not understanding (but also not knowing) this, the parents not liking the coaching style and then between you and me they want to be on the "A Team." Well I wanted Aiden to get some reps there as well but I want him to earn it. You wonder why the kid is overweight and lazy (IMO).

I truly hope that the coaches can keep the momentum of building Aiden's confidence and thus in turn play. I'm afraid that if he languishes for too long he'll begin to doubt himself again.

So here we are, Aiden's got MS playoffs this week and hopefully he continues with the confidence so the coaches think he warrants a call up.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote