View Single Post
Old 06-30-2022, 03:05 PM   #2691
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
In answer to Jon's wondering about why academics matter? They don't, in the sense that a few spots in the international ratings don't mean anything. But they do, in terms of building a brand. The AAU universities have research standards. That, in turn, draws the people who build companies, have more disposable income, build endowments, etc. Just like 32 extraordinarily wealthy groups run the NFL, a small set of big players generate university endowments and build international brands.

My contention, I suppose, is that the athletic brand and the university brand will become increasingly unrelated to all aside from the unwashed masses (sidewalk alums in some markets, completely disconnected in others)

Think of it like ... {searches for reasonable example of what I mean } ... almost like companies who attach their brand to sports teams. Nobody actually thinks that Red Bull is a superior drink just because they're name is on an F1 team.

The days of "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" (the old NASCAR model) is largely gone by the wayside IMO, at least with regard to non-grocery items.

Yes, I realize that calls into question the actual value of a lot of the corporate sponsorships that exist ... but I've ALWAYS questioned the real cost/benefit (opposed to perceived) of a lot of those.

And yes, I in turn then question the benefit (and eventual longevity) of directly associating the universities with their athletic departments at the "Superleague" level.