View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 04:46 PM   #89
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

World Team Cup

There's a week yet left in the season, but the WTC Playoffs have completed. Our nemesis Austria, having edged Denmark 3-2 in the Level 2 Final, beat South Africa 4-1 to promote to Level 1 for the 2040 season. I have mixed feelings about this. I won't miss having to face them(they are still the only nation to beat us so far) but on the other hand they get to compete against the very best in the world, which is our ultimate goal and they stopped us from achieving it.

Revenge will be served cold if at all in this case.

Denmark is the only other nation to promote, as they defeated New Caledonia 3-2. Serbia and Monaco were relegated to Level 2 and will be among our potential foes. Sri Lanka finishes the year at 43rd in the world, just eight spots up from 51st a year ago. Our rise was definitely slowed by being knocked out earlier than usual. We've been drawn in Group 3 of Level 2 again, and will face Israel(29th), Romania(30th), and the Slovak Republic(26th) with Romania coming up first on an indoor court.

Israel is recently promoted from Level 3, going undefeated until a 3-2 loss to Luxembourg in the semis, but getting past Chinese Taipei easily 4-1 in the playoff. They have no Top 100 players and should be an easy out. Romania is a bit better, they also promoted from Level 3 and were beaten by Luxembourg as well(4-1 in the finals) before blanking Uruguay. They should not pose a serious threat to us either. The Slovak Republic lost two of three group matches last year, getting past only relegated Uruguay. All in all it really is a pretty easy group and we should easily win it with Romania probably second, followed by the Slovak Republic and Israel most likely. Looking around at the other groups, Group 3 seems to me to be by far the weakest. A stroke of luck for us, virtually guaranteeing at least a return to the quarterfinals.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote