View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 06:37 PM   #196
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy
I don't think that we can prevent player C (pirate) from intervening, since we won't be watching him. In fact, we can only use the watch action for 2 turns (out of the five) during the action.

I'm trying to work out the logistics for how this would work and I'm definitely looking for feedback from others.

Starting point:
Pair up all players (we have an odd number, so one is left out)
One player will move/dig all five phases
Other player will spend two phases in watch, dig/move for remaining three

We can take the coordination to another level by determining what squares each of the groups should go to. So each set would vouch for the other that people went to the appropriate locations initially.

What I think we can do here is set up criteria that allow us to be able to track movements by the whole group, rather than each of us acting independently. If someone does break from their actions, their partner would be able to alert us to the breach in etiquette.

If someone ends up dead, then we have a smaller set of people to look at because pairs of people are established to vouch for each other every day.

We should then mix up the pairings on each day.

This plan requires widespread (near unanimous) cooperation in order to work. Not exactly how treasure hunters and pirates usually roll, but if we are looking to avoid a knife in the gut while getting rich together I think that this idea should at least be up for discussion.

The alternative, as I see it, is that we all scurry around like rats hoping that we don't end up in the same square as the pirate with the knife at the wrong time.

Hmmm.. there is plus side to this plan if it worked flawlessly I think. but there seems like alot of holes in it also to me.

Some of the downsides I see, with no answer to are:

Uneven pairs (not only on first night, but other times through out.) leaving someone wide open to doing anything unchecked.

With 49 squares, and 8 pairs, you could fairly easily end up with pairs close enough to each other, that someone could sneak from one "pair" to the other square to kill someone.

If you are the digger, you have no ability to vouch for the person who is supposed to be watching you, or what they did that night. As far as you know they might not have even been in the same square as you.

You might either hamper certain items that miners decide to buy if they have to stick to their pairing, or you might risk them outing themselves, or render their special traits (for those with some) useless by putting them in a place that they couldn't easily use it without outing themselves.

What if one person chose to camp out, no one could pair up with him and thus leave him unchecked per say.

--- I guess I like the idea overall, just trying to figure out how some of this works. It still feels like our biggest element that we have going for us is our suprise and unpredictability. Doing this removes both of those for us, and broadcasts our plans and actions, while still leaving us in the dark about the pirates.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote