View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #151
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

April 14, 2012 (morning)
BSBN Player of the Season shortlist is announced, Jamie Mole is thought to be among the front runners along with Daniel Sparkes. I can't vote for my own guy so I'm thinking maybe I just don't vote? There isn't really another candidate that's in their class frankly.

Another bit of news from the larger world, Championship side Burnely has shocked Premier club Sunderland 2-0 at Wembley to go through to the FA Cup final. They'll meet the winner of Fulham & Wolves in the final.

April 14, 2012 (afternoon)
Blyth (2nd, 23-5-10) vs Droylsden (5th, 18-9-12)

First meeting at their place was maybe our most shocking win of the year, 5-1, with 4 goals in the first half and we held them scoreless until extra time. They played the second half down a man after a red card but we dominated the first half. I'd take a repeat performance for sure. We're 5:4 favorites at Croft Park.

We'll go 4-4-2 Standard to start, not going to play scared here at home. At least not at kickoff.

GK - Knight
D: Kendrick - Jones - Sinclair - Groves
MF: Matondo - Hooks - Vipond - Emms
F: Mole - Armstrong
(Available: Slaughter, Phillips, Taylor, Sawyer, Hartley)

18:41 - Vickers free kick from wide left ... into the box for Nat Kerr ... his header is off the crossbar ... Hooks punts it clear
31:26 - GK Farmer makes a brilliant save to deny Matondo who tried to squeeze a shot in a narrow space near the left post
39:45 - Emms hangs a corner for Hooks .. diving header ... GOAL !!! (1-0)

Halftime - Not the most exciting half you'll ever see, we've been outshot 3-2 but it worked out pretty well for us. We need to improve our aerial play and tackle better, but we're in front & that's a good thing. Just keep it up boys, keep it up

64:15 - Emms whips in a corner, Sinclair is there ... his header goes over the crossbar

68:20 - Sub Slaughter for Armstrong (5.9) (Matondo to LF)
75:11 - Droylsden makes a clear shift into attack mode
76:53 - Vickers with a run into the area ... little bump pass finds Johnson in the box ... he scores (1-1)
Flip-flop Kendrick & Slaughter, Sub Taylor for Matondo (tiring)
86:02 - Connor take a long shot that hits the bar ... rebound straight to Johnson who heads it toward the left post ... Logan runs onto it and scores ... unbelievable ... wait a minute ... there's a flag ... he's been ruled offside, no goal We switch to Counter & sub Phillips on for Kendrick

Fulltime - We escape our own pitch with a miraculous draw. We just came undone in the second half, our forwards vanished completely, probably the worst 45 mins of the year by Mole. We end up outshot 8-4, lucky to scrape out a point frankly. That was unacceptable.

Knight 6.8
Kendrick 6.7, Jones 6.0, Sinclair 6.9, Groves 7.0
Matondo 6.6, Hooks(MOM) 7.3 & 1 goal, Vipond 6.5, Emms 6.9 & 1 assist
Mole 5.8, Armstrong 5.9
Subs: Slaughter 6.7, Taylor/Philips N/A

Apr 14, 2012 (post-match)
Nuneaton destroys Gloucester 4-0, so we now trail them by 2 points. Today's point clinches at least a second place finish for us, as we lead Histon by 7 with only 2 left to play, That's something I suppose. Histon has clinched a playoff spot however. Bishop's Stortford drew Corby, so they remain 1 point ahead of Droylsden, with Corby & FC Halifax both 2 points short of a playoff spot.

In BSB Premier, both Barrow & last years BSBN champ Alfreton are assured relegation.