View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 02:17 AM   #176
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
The one thing you'll encounter with contract extensions, and I know this was tough because you were over budget the second half of the season, players will most likely refuse to re-sign with you if you wait until May/June to offer them a new deal.

That's probably what's hindering me with several of the guys who won't even talk at this point.

Quote:
One thing I'd recommend is combing through League 1 and League 2 teams to see if you can get any quality (relative term at this point) players in on loan for a season.

I spent virtually all of last season looking for loan candidates, my ass't identified a grand total of zero prospects. It wasn't for lack of players, just none of them came with remotely reasonable cost attached. One odd thing I ran into a couple of times were players listed for loan and the club was asking for 0% salary contribution on my part ... but all offers were rejected because I wasn't willing to pick up enough salary. Anything short of 50% and they would have none of it (I kept negotiating even past what was reasonable just to see where the threshold was). I've also been told by the board that they don't much care for loaning players in, so I'm not sure how hamstrung that will leave me either.

I fear my best hope is going to be striking gold of a value similar to what I got from Matondo & Sinclair.