View Single Post
Old 04-24-2020, 03:17 PM   #399
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Its a nice spin if it makes you feel better. But.....its just terrible IMO.

This article sums up how I feel
Packers' Nonsensical Decision to Trade Up for Jordan Love Could Be Crippling | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights
First round picks aren't the only way to improve and GB has a pretty rough track record on skilled first round players. KC didn't even have a first round pick in 18 or 19. NE's last 6-7 first round picks have been trash and the idea that a raw WR like Mims is going to be a bigger impact than a WR they get in round 2 (or even 3) is a big question. I could see this line if a guy like Ayuk or Lamb had fallen - but there just wasn't a clear guy there over a chance at very good future QB (according to GB). Plus, Green Bay has done very well with WRs in the 2nd and 3rd round (Jennings, Jordy, Cobb, Adams and James Jones) - so I think they have some confidence to still get that guy later.

Quote:
And its not even comparable to when Rodgers got drafted. Rodgers was in that #1 pick discussion so he had value. Jordan Love shouldnt even have been a 1st round pick. His numbers last year (61 percent completion percentage, 20 TDS, 17 Ints) against average to below average competition. They are hungup on his arm because Pat Mahomes is so trendy right now.
Did you watch Utah State last year? Their OL and WRs were crap. I saw a few of their games (including LSU and Wake). He was running for his life. There's a reason he had 32 TDs and 6 INT in 18 and then 20 and 17 in 19. His team was awful last season (and they still went 7-6 at 29 PPG). I also didn't use the Rodgers/Favre angle. I agree that using that logic is a reach here.

Having a capable backup QB that could take over for Rodgers is way more important to me than a slot WR or ILB that will play 20 snaps a game as a rookie. You've seen Green Bay with Hundley and Kizer, it wasn't pretty and Aaron isn't exactly a picture of perfect health at 36.

Quote:
This is the 1st offensive skill position player that Packers have drafted in the 1st round since they took Rodgers in 2005. Apparently, they just expect Rodgers to carry the offense by himself as he always has. Perhaps this is the reason they struggle so badly when Rodgers gets hurt. They dont draft any playmakers early.
I saw that on twitter, it's BS. Here are the 2nd round picks they've taken to help Rodgers: Jennings, Jordy, Cobb, Lacy, Adams. They've also grabbed James Jones and Jermichael Finley in the 3rd and Aaron Jones in the 5th. That's not even talking about the 10 top 4-round picks they've used on the OL. I agree that they didn't use FA well under Ted, but Gutey has gone out and spent on the offense since he took over. The idea that taking a WR in the first round was the magical exilir for the Packers is a little silly. They need more vets for 2020 - not rookies Aaron won't throw to.

Last edited by Arles : 04-24-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote