View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #294
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Summer League – meet at Grand Cascades

The meet when pretty much as expected. Last year we lost 556 to 234, this year it was a bit better...485 to 308...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bailey

100 Medley Relay : B Team – Bailey and Reese flip strokes heading into this race. It was funny, Bailey really didn't want to swim Breast because of her struggles right now in that stroke, and apparently Reese has similar feelings about her fly (though I think Reese's fly is better comparitively speaking then Bailey's Breast)...as it turns out it was a very good decision, as Reese actually won the 50 breast for the age group, and Bailey was 3rd in the 50 fly (only losing to our A swimmer and GCs A swimmer- more on that later). I didn't get to see the race, but was told they did very well, and they killed the GC - B team, so them must have done pretty good.

50 Free – Bailey did good...her time wasn't overly impressive 30.87 but it was good enough for second only losing to her SA friend that was termed the beast a few years back because of how well she was swimming and how big she was. She also beat some pretty good girls in the heat, Reese, Caroline (but Caroline was wearing a cast...which comes off next week - so this could get interesting), and Jaeden, another old friend from SwimAtlanta

50 Fly - I warned Bailey prior to this race that she really needed to pay attention on the start because the buzzer wasn't very loud and the starter was pretty quick to get the kids off the blocks. Unfortunately, my warning didn't help...she was last off the block, by ALOT (sigh)...anyway, she swam well despite that, as she closed hard on the opening 25 and was only a touch behind at the turn. Bailey's turn was a bit sloppy, which cost her, but she finished with a good 33.97, losing to KJ by 1 second and the GC Flyer by .5 seconds, with a terrible start...

100 Free Relay: B Team – Race was over by the time Bailey hit the water, they couldn't catch first or second and they weren't going to get caught for 3rd...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bear

100 Medley Relay: A Team – Missed this race too...in fact, when I walked into the pool the Free swimmer in the relay had apparently just touched the wall, because he was waiting for the rest of the event to finish...Spilts say Bear swam a 37.xx leg in the fly...

50 Free – Bear did well here. He wasn't going to be the A swimmer from GC, but he did beat their B swimmer with a solid 32.08 (and another poor turn, poor kid just hasn't figured out his taller body yet).

100 IM – As expected Bear got killed. Brett's buddy Jack swam the event in 1:03.91...Bear didn't even get a personal best as he posted a 1:24.xx...not a great swim for him, but he did finish 2nd.

100 Free Relay : A Team – Bear missed the wall again on his turn...dark, poorly lit pool, he lost his perscription googles and as I said above, he just isn't comfortable with his new body yet. He was very upset feeling he had let the team down. Of course he didn't because he'd have needed to give Brett (anchor) about a 7 second lead for him to even have a chance to hold off Jack...As it turns out they finished 2nd with a decent time considering the missed wall on the turn.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brett

100 Medley Relay : A Team(race is described above)...poor split in the low 40 second range - I'm sure the 2 hour practice a few hours before had an impact

100 Free – Brett swam a pedestrian 1:12.xx, as he cruised most of the way. I understand way, Jack swam a sub minute, and he wasn't going to catch Jack, and the 3rd place swimmer was well behind and wasn't going to catch Brett, but I want to see him work on sprinting during the summer. We talked about this after the meet...we'll see if he takes it to heart.

50 Breast – just like bailey in the fly, I warned him about the start, and just like bailey he didn't execute and was basically still on the blocks when everyone else was in the water. Again swam in the 40 second range...mid 40s this time, and was disappointed, felt he should have won (and he should have). The bad start hurt, and the fatigue from a hard practice was clearly a factor here. This loss might actually be a good thing in the long run though. Because GCs breaststroker beat Brett, they will probably keep him in that event at the county meet, and Brett can beat this guy. Had Brett won, they may have moved Jack to breast and Brett can't beat Jack...

100 Free Relay : A Team(Race is described in Bear's write up)...Brett swam a uninterested 33 low...again he couldn't catch Jack and the 3rd place team wasn't going to catch him...

Last edited by Breeze : 05-31-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote