View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #7
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 May 2014

Our first match of April saw us at home to a Wexford Youths side that is walking the league right now. I tried the 4-4-2 again, because Youths struggled a bit against a team playing that formation earlier in the season. Not this time. They carved us up like a roast.

Two days later, Gary Joyce pulled his hamstring in training. As those things go, it could have been worse—physio Shane McNally predicted Gary might be back in a month—but it meant the 4-4-2 probably wouldn’t be a good option for a while. So I’m back to my 4-3-3 again, with Martin McCabe leading the line.

Poor Gary might have a hard time getting back into the eleven, because Martin has four goals in his last three games. Even more importantly, we’ve taken seven points over that stretch, and we’ve climbed up to third. We’ve had to contend with a few other injuries, but fortunately they were minor ones. Aaron O’Connor and Rudmer Talsma both missed a game (not the same game, thank goodness).

I like to build my teams around a strong spine. I look for a dependable, resilient goalkeeper; a pair of imperious center halves; a combination of players with steel and guile in the central midfield; a striker (or two) with a nose for goal. I’m not sure if that’s a traditional way to construct a side, but it fits my own managerial philosophy. I’m fairly happy with the heart of the team I inherited in Galway, but I’m nonetheless looking to strengthen it, too.

To provide some depth in the middle of the park, I signed Stephen Spillane, who’s currently playing on an amateur contract for a small club from Dublin called Collinstown F.C. Spillane is 21, and I like the strength of his mental game a lot (Determination 14, Teamwork 12, Decisions 12, Work Rate 12). He plays with a bit of edge (Bravery 13, Aggression 14), but he also sees the pitch well and displays a decent passing range (Vision 12). I’m envisioning him as a reliable reserve who can back up all the members of our central midfield trio.

I finished third in the balloting for Manager of the Month, which was a nice bit of recognition.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote