View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 01:00 PM   #10
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

8 July 2014

The transfer window opened on 1 July. I knew Stephen Spillane and Ryan Thornton would be joining the team--we'd made those arrangements back in April--but I wasn't really prepared for the other change that occurred the next day.

Brian Glynn hadn't played much for us during the first half of the season. Roy Murphy and Mark Molloy have been spectacular, and Brian can't play anywhere but center back. When I gave him a start in the Senior Challenge Cup tie, he was booked twice and sent off.

Derry City are currently trying to stay above the relegation places in the Premier Division. They aren't having a good season, but they are a bigger club, so I was surprised when they made a transfer offer for Glynn. They weren't offering any money; they probably don't have any more money for transfers than we do (zero). They turned Brian's head, though, and he cooed to the press about how much he'd like to join Derry City. I gave him his wishes, accepted the transfer, and took €300 off our wage bill.

Ryan Thornton can take his place on our team sheet, and he did just that when we played Shamrock Rovers B in Dublin. We won, 3-1, to go five points clear at the top of the table. I'm starting to see some signs of complacency when we take a lead. Kieron Russell is the worst offender, but one or two other lads are starting to pick up on his mood.

After the match, the board offered me two things:
  1. The opportunity to add another €500 to the wage budget in exchange for a revised goal: winning the league. I decided to take it. I had almost maxed out our budget, and we'll be getting our youth intake soon. I'd like to have room to sign some of the youngsters if they're good enough.
  2. A new contract!

There is another side of our success, one that could make things a bit difficult. Premier Division teams are flirting with a few more of our players now. Mark Molloy, David Reilly, and Alan Woods are all being targeted by bigger clubs. Reilly is gushing about how much he'd like to play for Bohemians.

He's our captain, but if he doesn't cut out the coyness, he might not be wearing a Galway shirt much longer.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote