View Single Post
Old 03-28-2019, 08:10 PM   #26
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 June 2015

It's been fun to watch this Galway United team take shape. As the players have gained familiarity with our tactic, they're producing some very, very nice football. We lead the Premier Division in possession percentage (57.53%), significantly more than any other team. When we're at our best, we create lots of chances, and we're second in goals scored.

The League Cup tie was a disaster, but all it proved was that Dundalk have much better depth than we do. I could have told you that already. Jimmy O'Connor was absolutely dreadful in goal, and might have made his last appearance in a Galway United shirt. You'll see why in a month or so.

After Martin McCabe found the net against Dundalk, I gave him a chance in a league match, and he obligingly fired in a game-winner. Martin's performance reminds me of a trend I've seen quite often this season. I've been rotating a number of players through the team, sometimes for necessity (injuries and suspensions). Four men--Rudmer Talsma, Pasquale Van Daele, Damion Watson, and Peter Johanssen--have been more-or-less regulars at AM(L) and AM(R), and they've all done a fine job. If Peter isn't playing on the wing, he's in the central midfield. So far, everyone seems happy with the playing time they're receiving, too.

Maybe our league position is keeping them in good moods. It certainly can't be hurting, can it?

Roy Murphy has plenty of reasons to be happy. He was named Irish Player of the Month for May. He scored against University College Dublin, and had 23 interceptions and won 13 headers against Shamrock Rovers. He seems to be adjusting to the Premier Division without missing a beat.

Last month, I was wondering if I could use the attention I was getting from other clubs to persuade the board to say "yes" to a request or two. I decided to give it a try, and went to England to interview for the job at Torquay. I wasn't offered the job, but chairman Stephen Murphy invited me to talk about what it might take to keep me in Galway. I'd just been named Manager of the Month, so my stock was up.

I tried asking for additional coaches, and I got the same answer as always. So much for my idea.

I threw the chairman under the bus in my next presser, just because I was hacked off. We'll see what happens next.

My job security rating is Untouchable, so I'm not too worried.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote