View Single Post
Old 03-29-2019, 11:49 AM   #28
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

24 July 2015

I don't often write a mid-month update, but July has been a very busy--and very enjoyable--month. Times like this are when Football Manager becomes so immersive and fun to play.

You know about the Senior Challenge Cup already. What I didn't know at the time is that Cobh Ramblers are currently the Challenge Cup holders! They are legit cup warriors. As poor as their league form has been, they are very, very tough when there is hardware at stake. Their Challenge Cup victory earned them a place in the EURO Cup (the game's version of the Europa League; obviously FM didn't buy the licensing rights from UEFA).

I hadn't been planning to take the Challenge Cup all that seriously. Now I'm starting to re-think that decision. I've never managed a team in European competition--I almost never manage a team in the top flight in any nation--and I am close enough to dream this time.

I checked, and the Republic of Ireland is ranked 46th in the European coefficent rankings. That's really weak; Luxembourg and Malta are ranked higher. That sorry placing nonetheless gives Ireland four places in the European cups. The Premier Division champion earns a spot in the Second Qualifying Round of the European Champions Cup (the Champions League). Three other teams enter the First Qualifying Round of the EURO Cup.

In other words, if I can keep the Tribesmen where we are in the table, we might have European nights (at least one) at Eamonn Deacy Park!

I didn't make things any easier with the way I (mis)handled some contract negotiations. I already told you I'd arranged to buy Darcy Bradford and Pasquale Van Daele, whose transfers would go through when the summer window opened on 1 July. Unfortunately, Darcy's loan expired on 16 June, so he went back to Sunderland for two weeks, waiting for the transfer! I'm sure there was a way to make sure I retained Bradford's services without interruption, but I screwed it up. I'd have to make do with big Derek Byrne between the posts for three matches...including a big one, away to fellow contenders St. Pat's Athletic.

Our defenders made Derek's job very easy. He had one save to make, and he made it. Gary Joyce, in the starting team while Declan Nolan's tender ankle finished healing, did a better job with his chance, and we left Dublin with three big points.

After that, Derry City at home didn't seem like nearly as tough a task. Peter Johansson, who honestly hasn't been as dominant a force as I thought he'd be, was a beast in this game. Keiron Russell was unavailable after coming up lame in training, so Peter moved up to take his place as the most attack-minded member of our midfield trio. Attack he did, firing in a brace.

Unfortunately, Byrne let in two goals, and we had to settle for a point.

Then came the absolute disaster away to Drogheda, who were a point ahead of the drop zone when we pulled into town. When we limped back to Galway with our tails between our legs, well and truly beaten, they were four points clear. Aaron Sikumoya was sent off, but we were already down 3-0. We actually played them on even terms after Aaron's dismissal.

Pasquale returned to Holland the next day, but he'd be back before we played again. I hate to think what would have happened if he, too, were out of the lineup.

Then came some bad, bad news from Wearside. Darcy Bradford hurt his back in training, and he might be out for a month!!

With a chance to finish in the European qualifying spots at stake, would I have to rely on Derek Byrne in goal? Perhaps not...

I haven't been thrilled with the performance of our poor Under 19 lads. There are some decent prospects among them, but they're 11th in their 12-team league. Back in May, I decided to see if I could take some advantage of my connections back in Holland and bolster my youth team with some good young players.

I ended up finding two 18-year-olds I liked: a center back called Niels Kuipers...and a goalkeeper, Alexander van der Steen! There was, indeed, another option!

I decided not to give the young lad his debut in a derby against Athlone Town. I sent Byrne out one more time, and he was pants. Town had three shots on target, and two of them went in. To be fair, one of the saves would have been a tough one, the kind of stop that would have done Darcy Bradford proud. Still, we dominated the match in every regard, and only managed a draw.

Thus, the Derek Byrne Era at Galway United FC came to an undistinguished end. I decided to see how van der Steen would fare against Cobh Ramblers at St. Colman's Park.

Our boys made young Alexander's job easy. They scored three in the first 23 minutes, and after Ramblers pulled one back early in the second half, we scored two more. Craig McNamara completed a brace for the home side with a possible Goal of the Month nominee, so I can't fault van der Steen for that one.

Next up were Sligo Rovers, away. They entered the match second in the league, a point ahead of us. I took a deep breath and put van der Steen in the lineup.

Seven minutes in, Pasquale Van Daele dribbled to the byline and crossed for Declan Nolan, who swept the ball in at the far post. It was PVD's 11th assist of the season, best in the Premiership. Right before the half hour, Billy Ryan's slide tackle on Glenn Black poked the ball into the path of a sprinting Nolan. Declan beat the 'keeper, and just like that, the score was 2-0. Over two thousand fans at The Showgrounds fell quiet.

That's how the score stood at the final whistle. Van der Steen had only three saves to make, but he made all three.

Our happiness over the result was dampened by some bad news from our physio. Darcy Bradford's back injury was worse than expected, and he might miss another month.

Here's how the table looks right now. A lot can change here, for good or for bad, in a month.

The transfer window is open for another week, so I looked through head scout Wooter Beentjes's files to see if there might be a good goalkeeper looking for work. Indeed there was: a veteran gloveman called Patrick Sheehan who had been released by Queens Park Rangers on 30 June. Patrick never got in a game with QPR, but he was still on the books with a club in England's top flight. I decided to bring him in on trial, and let my staff take a look at him.

They like what they see. Dennis de Jonge believes he's better than Bradford; he organizes his defense well, demonstrates excellent positioning, and commands his area authoritatively. He won't be cheap, but I can afford him.

Here's the question: Do I sign Sheehan, or trust van der Steen for another month? We'll play five matches before Darcy's expected return. The toughest one is away to Dundalk (which is, indeed, the toughest possible fixture). Our other opponents are mainly mid-table teams.

Claire says I should sign Patrick before another team snaps him up. I pointed out the fact that once Bradford is healthy, he'll be understandably eager to play again, and we're paying him €800/week to do just that. Plus, we might be paying Sheehan just about as much, and you only get to play one goalkeeper at a time.

Decisions, decisions...
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote