View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 05:09 PM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

Obsession: A Board Game Dynasty

I've never backed a Kickstarter project before.

But then I saw this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...on/description

I'd heard about Obsession back in 2017, but being both poor and not yet trusting of Kickstarter, I didn't jump in on the first edition. So when this came along - a Kickstarter for the new Upstairs, Downstairs expansion and with the option to get the second edition of the base game and the first expansion - the Wessex expanion, I jumped in.

Playing as ruined gentry trying to rebuild a fallen estate and win an important marriage with the Fairchilds? Set in Victorian England? Yes, yes, and yes. Totally in my wheelhouse - especially with all the Victorian-era novels I've read and the studies I've done of Victorian British imperialism and empire.

So I bit the bullet and got the Queen Victoria pledge level - going all in (I would back a second Kickstarter a short time after, but that's another day).

Originally, it was supposed to arrive in March of this year, which would have come to me in Vegas. Well, COVID-19 happened, and as you can imagine, delays galore in production. Then it looked like August was going to be the fulfillment date. Then September.

As you can imagine, those months created issues for getting to me. Originally I was going to have it sent to my uncle. Then to me at the hotel. Finally, literally 24 hours before change of shipping address deadline closed, I hit upon the idea of sending it to myself at the high school.

It arrived yesterday, and I hiked 20-25 minutes through pouring rain with the box. Luckily, it was no worse for the wear. Here's what was inside:

It might be hard to see, but... from L to R

Obession Promotional Tiles - I'll talk more about that in another post
Upstairs, Downstairs Expansion up top - what the Kickstarter was for
Obsession base game down on the bottom - 2nd edition printing; 1st ed is OOP
Wessex expansion - the very first expansion for Obsession

Over the next few posts, I'll get better images of everything and discuss each in turn. I'm not sure I'll manage to get a game in any time soon - the hotel room table is quite small - but we'll see.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote