View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 08:49 PM   #14
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

1989 OFFSEASON

Coaching Changes

It's now the off-season, and before the draft, Coach Dawson Giovann steps into my office and files his letter of resignation. Apparently, he felt that he could not steer this young team towards the direction that he wants. this makes my job easier, I wasn't planning on keeping Giovann anyway.

After numerous phonecalls and meetingslater in the week, we manage to ink ourselves a brand new coach. 44 year old Chuck Shephard. He's one of the better offensive-minded coaches in the league, and has got a knack at developing young players' scoring touch.

We also hire a new scout, replacing our old one. Josiah Hartley has a keen eye for guards, mostly, with an excellent evaluation sense for ball-handling and scoring. He also has a knack at looking at a player's talent and skill.

62-year old Rob Sailo remains as my Assistant-GM. If anything else, he has an excellent eye for talent.

1989 NBA Draft

The NBA Lottery is won by the Indiana Pacers. Folowed by the Boston Celtics, and then the New Jersey Nets at #3. The ping pong balls did not go our way, and we are situated at #8. The draft is talented, spearheaded by an impressive physical specimen in 7'1" big man David Robinson.

The Indiana Pacers take their time. Everyone's already thinking about a David Robinson-Rik Smits tandem in Indiana. David Stern finally makes his way to the podium. "With the first pick in the 1989 NBA Draft, the Indiana Pacers select Sherman Douglas!" That was unexpected. There is a collective buzz, as couriers scramble and evaluators change their sheets. I take a look at Hartley's evaluation on Douglas. "All star caliber player, Hall of Fame type potential. Terrific creator on the break, solid defender."

The Boston Celtics are next. I don't think the shock of having David Robinson slip to #2 has settled in yet. The Celtics GM hands the selection to the Commissioner. David Stern reads the paper. "With the 2nd pick in the 1989 Draft, the Boston Celtics have selected... guard, Sarunas Marciuli!" If what happened earlier was a buzz, there was almost an instant gasp of exhasperation around the entire arena. I look at David Robinson, and the kid looks distraught... he's talking to his manager, probably asking what the hell was going on. According to Hartley's paper on Marciuli, he's a "solid player and an excellent starter" but definitely not in the league of Robinson.

The Nets waste no time, however. They send in their paper. David Stern smiles and reads the pick. "With the third pick in the NBA Draft, the New Jersey Nets select David Robinson!" A sigh of relief from the big man. The Nets look like they just won the jackpot, handshakes everywhere. Wow. Just wow, I couldn't believe the big man dropped to #3.

The Sacramento Kings select C Vlade Divac at #4. The Miami Heat pick PG Tim Hardaway at #5. The Houston Rockets pick PG Pooh Richardson at #6, blowing away my draft list. I was hoping that Hardaway or Richardson would slip to #8. Gary Grant was a good PG, but he was not a passer at heart. The Detroit Pistons select C J.R. Reid at #7.

The clock is on us. The best player on the board is clearly 22-year old SF Nick Anderson. There are guards available, in Dana Barros and Mookie Blaylock, but definitely not in the range of Hardaway or Richardson. I take a quick look at the field again. We have no choice but to select the best available player. We hand the selection over to the Commish. "With the 8th pick of the 1989 NBA Draft, the Los Angeles Clippers select Nick Anderson!" I know this was going to put a logjam at the SF spot, with Ken Norman already there... but that was a problem to be taken care of at a later time.

The rest of the 1st round passes by. With our 2nd round pick, we select SG Jaren Jackson, a hard-nosed defender coming out of college. Not really an offensive threat, but his defense is excellent, so says our scout.

Up next, the Free Agency...