Thread: Charlottesville
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 10:54 PM   #207
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Having your name associated with this cause on the internet forever is a far greater punishment than getting arrested and released and all the protesting street-cred that goes with that (and maybe having a shot at a big payout if you're injured in a protest melee).

I wish we had more Europeans on this board to explain how those countries deal with hate protesters (though whomario seems to indicate that they allow protests but not hate symbols at least and I know that Germany's incitement of the masses crime does allow for fines or jail time), however I think it is pretty obvious that having your name associated with it on the internet is absolutely no penalty whatsoever. One can even say that the internet has emboldened the alt-right and White Supremacists. The internet has definitely radicalized some young white men in the same way it has radicalized some young Muslim men (which makes me wonder what would happen if young Muslim men marched chanting Death to America and Kill the Unbelievers - would it be considered a free speech march or terrorist threats). The radicalized young white men however seem to have no shame in using their real name in advocating for white supremacy on platforms like Facebook. Hell, in the past, White Supremacists would cover their faces - they don't even do that anymore. The President caters to White Supremacists. Companies may try their best to fire those they know that march in Charlottesville, but it is like playing pop goes the weasel.

And all the while, you have folks who are technically not associated with the alt-right trying to say that it is anti-freedom of speech (the principles not legality) to fire someone for having 'different views' even if they are for white supremacy.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 08-15-2017 at 11:12 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote