View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #257
Radii
Head Coach

-- Navarro and Roth both resume full training. Roth could probably play as soon as he's rested. Navarro may only need 1 match with the reserves to be ready. I had feared worse for both of them.

September 14th, 2016

North America Amateur Cup - Quarterfinals

Wake Forest Cougars (1st, ACAL) vs Galveston Hurricane (9th, AAAL)

Attendance: 226

-- We are giant favorites todya, 1:6 to win, against the 9th place team from a team in the same tier as us.

Starting Lineup

GK: Barton
D: Coggins/Burke/Hernandez/Varela
M: Glaser/Wilkins
AM: Gallardo/Cooper
ST: Goodwin/Maurer

-- We will look to counterattack again, we'll see how that works at the start. I'm playing a lot of backups today, with another league match in 3 days I am taking no chances. Perhaps I should be trying a little harder to win this tournament (coulda kept Gyan in, played Tapia and Davidson and Shakespeare and Ratzburg but risked not having them for the next league match).

17': We win a ball in midfield to start an attack, there's a pass down to Cooper, a cross.. it hits a defender and deflects in! I'm *pretty* sure the intended target of the cross was offsides, so we got lucky? 1-0

31': Maurer to Goodwin for a clear cut chance, he shoots from 18 yards... just wide.

37': Maurer out wide to Cooper, his cross is headed away, to Wilkins, ahead to Goodwin for a goal.. . but offsides.

40': Cooper has a corner cleared, then a cross cleared, no luck getting anything in there today so far that isn't off a defender.

44': They earn a corner off a cross, Hernandez clears the corner.

HALF: We have 4 shots to their 0, but all that matters so far is an own goal. Our defense is playing well.

52': Hernandez with a yellow. He'll miss the next match. He would have sat for Forrest anyway.

69': Cooper with a pass to Gallardo, he makes a move to get inside the area and shoot, but well off target.

73': Cooper to Maurer to Goodwin, a clear cut chance after Goodwin cuts inside of his defender, but the defender slides to block the shot.

78': Cooper with a corner, into the 6 yard box, Burke gets up and heads it in! 2-0

81': Gary Glaser is hurt and must leave the match immediately. Brian Williams is in. I also bring Leon Roth in for Maurer, to get him a little time.

87': Cooper with a really nice cross to the foot of Roth, his shot is saved though. We earn a corner, which is cleared out.

We are on fire!

Wake Forest 2 : 0 Galveston

Man of the Match: Mike Wilkins (8.0)
Goals: Burke (7.7)
Assists: Varela (7.4), Cooper (7.5)
Notables: Coggins (7.3), Glaser (7.0), Goodwin (7.0)

Wilkins was 76/102 passing with 5 key passes, no one else has more than 60 pass attempts. He also won 9 of 10 headers and had 8 interceptions. Guess that's how you get man of the match without being involved in a goal!

-- We get $29,840 for this win. We're on to the semifinals!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote