View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #437
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Point being, he's the only real frame of reference I have, and there's no scenario in the world where I can imagine O.B. standing outside of the school and doing nothing while he heard gunshots and kids screaming. None. So this revelation is absolutely unfathomable to me.

I briefly enter this thread to make a quick comment that your story ties exceptionally well to.

One of my bigger points all week, as I keep seeing bits of "meme wisdom" regarding school security, is that among the first decision that has to be made is whether you're talking about outward facing security or inward facing security.

"O.B." seems pretty standard in my experience as far as the realistic duties of the job. It's a job that's primarily dealing with matters inside rather than outside. He may well have been outstanding at it (i.e. I'm not diminishing that possibility in the slightest) but the actual tasks involved for "school resource officers" and other nomenclature appear to be very similar in most cases.

A lot of the popular memes I'm seeing are really about an entirely different animal, but I don't think more than a tiny fraction of those eager to post 'em understand that.