View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 07:27 PM   #258
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Though with those same-year comps I mentioned, the MTV play wasn't completely disparate.

To the broader point you raise though, I had a great reminder of the influence of MTV just a couple weeks ago. Until some random FB poster mentioned them, I hadn't thought about Jon Butcher Axis in decades. In revisiting the catalog from his/the band's run I was shocked to realize how many songs I had immediate complete recall for (something like 6 or 7 tracks) DESPITE there being only two that got any radio airplay and despite me owning only one album of the 3-4 involved. But then I also realized that I remembered the videos for most of the songs and that MTV lightbulb went on.

Just using the previous examples you brought up, I can certainly remember Flashdance and Maniac being huge songs....and their videos probably got a lot of play too....but they weren't remarkable in any way (all I remember is movie footage) whereas everything about the Dexy's Midnight Runner video was kind of remarkable to a 12-year-old (Who are these freaks in the overalls? What's with that name? Why are they singing like that? Can I see that girl's sideboob? etc.), for better or worse.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote