View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 09:17 PM   #1540
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
It's going to work again.

Three mass shootings in one weekend, carnage all over the country, and tons of people saying "we can't let this keep happening!" and here we are, a couple weeks later. The pro-gun advocates started with an absurd misdirection play and pointed at video games, the GOP tactically talks about mental health (despite reliably opposing programs to target mental health), and while these issues eventually fade away... so does any momentum to do a goddamn thing.

I confess that I don't genuinely believe that clip limits and model bans and website shutdowns will solve the problem of mass civilian gun killings (setting aside, for the moment, our many drug-related killings and horrifying numbers of suicides that also depend on easy gun access) ... but at this point, I feel if we don't start doing things that have some chance of helping, we are culpable.

And you can see it already. The forces of bullshit are winning, the momentum is waning, and we'll just sit idly by until another 22 children get shot up at a shopping mall or a school or a movie theater, and then they'll be back to say it's not about guns, it's about what-the-fuck-ever.

Lather. Rinse. Bury the dead. Repeat.

FFS

Trump also quietly dropped his support for expanded background checks.

So far the GOP playbook on these seems to be to throw shit against the wall (video games and mental health right now) to move the discussion away from attacking guns and toward either defending video games or discussing mental health warning signs (based on the current scapegoats). Once the public has tired of that discussion we're 2-3 weeks past the shooting and no one has the energy or desire to pick up the fight against guns again. Pressure on the GOP then goes away until the next shooting.

Then, as you said, Lather, Rinse, Repeat.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote