View Single Post
Old 07-16-2022, 02:56 PM   #70
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes, that's pretty clear cut to me. How about if its not as verbally straightforward as that? Teacher see drawings or teachers overhearing other kids talking about kid's depressive behavior etc.

I believe they would if for not other reason than CYA. I offer this similar example. I know it is not an exact comparison but I think it is a suitable comparison.

Teacher alarmed by Oxford suspect's drawings ahead of shooting, warned school leaders

The teacher saw the drawing, alerted the administration, and they admin called the parents. We all know what happened afterwards but I am really dealing with that part. I am just think that it is how for most teachers would react.

Quote:
Bottom line to me. If my daughter told the school nurse/counselor she was pregnant and needed advice, meds etc. I would want the school to tell me right away. If a teacher overheard my daughter tell a friend she was pregnant, I would want the teacher/admin to notify me that the teacher overheard this comment.

You and every other parent in the world would. Why would the school nurse/counselor want to hide this? What is the incentive to hide this from the parents outside of the father being the person or being related to the person who was told which creates its own set of issues? Again, if the student came to school nurse/counselor instead of the parent before, the student and now the school nurse/ counselor have concerns about abuse, neglect and/or abandonment. So they are not calling the parents right away anyway. If the student now knows that the person they were going to tell instead of their parents is now just going to turn around and in theory immediately tell the parents, why would the student tell that first person at all? How is that a good thing for anybody involved?

Quote:
If the student said he was gay, they would say nice and move on with the class. If he need support services, they would give the student that and try to facilitate getting that student to come out to his parents if it was safe for the student during that process.

And because we are not going to ask like homosexuality is some sort of mental illness because it is 2022, we are going to do the same for a student who says he is heterosexual? Administration who we don't want to give instructions about sexual orientation now has to track it and inform parents of changes?

Quote:
Not trying to be facetious about this (but know it can be taken that way) but when I read above, my question to you is what happens if parents don't know to request?

Request what? Services? A record of what services were provided? A record of what the student said? I got this out of the information the school sent to us last year.

Quote:
Parental consent is required if the consultation about a particular child or adolescent is likely to be extensive and ongoing and/or if school actions may result in a significant intrusion on student or family privacy beyond what might be expected in the course of ordinary school activities.

Quote:
My scenario is if my child was feeling depressed, bullied, , approached school nurse about being pregnant etc. I would want the school to inform the parents.

Same as before. I think this one is interesting from the other side. Should the parents be responsible for telling the school that their child is depressed or is being bullied? What if your child is the person causing the depression of or is bullying another student?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote