View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #35
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
But aren't the Law & Order series all on TNT? Which means there's a single cable channel to watch them on (its also syndicated here but on a station hardly anyone watches)? Would those ratings be as high if the shows were also played everyday on multiple other channels as well?

Okay, maybe I took too many liberties when I interpreted what you meant. Let me try again with your original examples.

That 70's Show appears to be airing on 2 cable networks: ABC Family (overnights 3a-5a) & TVLand (early morning 8a-10a)

Cops appears to be essentially cable exclusive to Spike (airing frequently) with a few airings on sister network G4 ... which only exist because G4 is currently in limbo (supposed to die & be replaced by Esquire TV, an 11th hour change that killed Style Network instead left G4 basically running on auto-pilot until they decide what to do with it).

Of those networks (in prime) ... ABC Family is #14 overall on cable, TVLand is 24th, Spike is 25th. Total day ratings have ABC Fam at #17, TVLand at #20, Spike usually falls somewhere in the 30s IIRC. Point being, even if networks were dropped/ceased to exist en masse, none of these are on the list that would be cut.

Further, once again I'll point out that reducing channels <> reducing costs. If some of the bottom feeders were unbundled, the price for the major players simply goes up to make up the difference.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-26-2013 at 01:44 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote