View Single Post
Old 09-25-2005, 06:01 AM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I took a gander around the league, crunched some very general numbers, and here's how the predictions look for this season, on paper at least.

AL EAST

1. Yankees
2. Red Sox*
3. Orioles
4. Bluejays
5. Devil Rays

Same-o, same-o. The Yanks look like the team to beat in the entire league, with pitching and hitting that ranks among the league's best. The defending champs will have to settle for the wildcard, but remain a contender as always. The other three squads all look destined for sub-.500 by a good margin.

AL CENTRAL

1. White Sox
2. Indians
3. Twins
4. Tigers
5. Royals

The White Sox look like they're going to run away with this one, and should be one of the best teams in baseball. The Indians and Twins will stick around for a little before falling back, but big bugaboos (pitching for the Tribe, hitting for the Domers) will be their downfall. The Tigers will stay in the lower echelon, and the Royals grade out as the worst team in baseball.

AL WEST

1. A's
2. Angels
3. Royals
4. Mariners

How disappointing to have the numbers point at the A's. I still think we can take this, and we are close enough to contend for both the division and with the Red Sox for the wildcard. In fact, it looks like we're the only other real contender for that wildcard spot, on paper at least. The Rangers are just on the outside, like the Twins and Indians, while the M's are gonna suck hard.

NL EAST

1. Nationals
2. Mets
3. Phillies
4. Braves
5. Marlins

I wouldn't have predicted this were it not for the Nats' early run in real life, but here they are. As usual, the Braves are probably severely underrated. The Mets are the only team close to contention with the Nationals, although the Nats are the worst division winner in the lists here, so anything is possible. There is no clearcut super team here, but there is also no obvious dead-end loser either.

NL CENTRAL

1. Cards
2. Cubs
3. Pirates
4. Astros
5. Reds
6. Brewers

The Cards are the best team in the NL, but they will have their hands full fighting off a tough Cubbies' squad. The Cubs will be contending for the wildcard spot as well. The gulf between the top two and the bottom four teams is huge, although the Pirates and 'Stros will be respectable.

NL WEST

1. Padres
2. Dodgers*
3. Giants
4. Rockies
5. Diamondbacks

The Padres talent is among the highest in baseball, so they are a surprise champion contender. They are right there with the Cards. The competition is strong in the west, though, where the Dodgers, themselves a contender, will pull down the wildcard. The Giants are no slouches themselves, and will contend with the Cubs for the right to harass the Dodgers through September. The Rockies and D'backs are awful.

DIVISIONAL SERIES

YANKS over A's
WHITESOX over RED SOX

The A's may have been a surprise division winner, but they are no match for the Bronx Bombers, who may sweep. Many will pick the BoSox in the stocking-matchup, but the ChiSox are the better-balanced squad and will pull through.

CARDS over DODGERS
PADRES over NATS

As good as the Cards are top-to-bottom, the Dodgers are the best wildcard to come around in a while. This should be a nailbiter to the end, but the Cards will eek their way through to the championship series. The Padres are going to go through the Nats like they aren't even playing.

CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

YANKS over WHITESOX
CARDS over PADRES

The White Sox have a solid all around team, but beef, bucks and "been there" is going to get the Yanks by them, and with a little bit of downtime before the Series. Meanwhile, the Cards will be in for the second straight tough battle with an NL West foe. The Padres will fight it to the end, all the way to seven, but the Cards have the experience and talent to overcome them.

WORLD SERIES

YANKS over CARDS

The best offense in the league goes against the second-best staff in the league, but the Yankees don't just have a little more offense than everyone else--they have tons. Plus, the Cards' arms will be tired from two straight series going full length, and a lineup that relies too much on the big three, and not enough elsewhere. Sadly for all of baseball, the Yankees will return to the pinnacle of the sport, and maybe with as much ease as the Red Sox in beating the Cards in '04.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-25-2005 at 06:05 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote