View Single Post
Old 03-24-2024, 02:58 PM   #7
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
The focus of this patch was on game engine issues. At least some of the QoL issues have not yet been addressed but I suspect those will come when the last remaining issues he needs to fix are complete.

I've never worked in that manner before. I almost always get through the entire list for each patch. Occasional exceptions like the one where I had to rewrite a lot of the off-season free agency acquisition code and didn't want to hold up a patch for a few weeks while that was ongoing.

If you look at the fix lists, you'll find the proverbial QoL changes in each one. The difference is that I obviously can't do everything everyone suggests. Sometimes I disagree that it would help and sometimes people suggest things that would take a lot of time to do (like add multi-player - FOF9 is a new code base and everything is either new or completely rewritten).

Please don't take it personally if your suggestions aren't added to the product. I've been gradually moving on to what's next (as always, can't talk about it because I probably change my mind about once a week, on average) and maintenance has been in slow mode since 9.0e. I haven't been replying to most email that gets passed along during this cycle. Sorry - that saves time, too, and I hate getting into "why not?" arguments when the answer is sometimes "because". It doesn't mean I don't take the suggestion seriously or that I won't necessarily change my mind at some point in the future.

We even took a nice vacation - hadn't had one in ages - our Boeing adventures were limited to over-stuffed flights and thankfully no mechanical issues. I think the next major accident will come from a plane trying to carry 250 people when it was designed for 150 simply unable to get off the runway from all the weight. Thankfully, I've been eating better lately and contributed a few less pounds to the burden.

As always, email is the only reliable way to report anything. I miss things in forums - no time to keep going over everything in a forum, plus it's much harder to ask for clarification (people tend not to respond - they don't keep going over everything, either). I'd remove the Steam forum if I could. You wouldn't believe the crap someone at Steam had to remove before I saw it last week. There's no value whatsoever to that forum without a moderator team.

The bug with the 28-team schedules was reported by someone else shortly after 9.0e was released (it was the first thing I worked on with 9.0f, since any schedule work is very time-consuming and doesn't affect the code). I am regretting making those files editable. The game is very specific about how it uses those files.

One tip I'll give for anyone modding anything: order is always crucial with rows - it saves a lot of processing time when the game is running - sorts are really expensive in terms of time. It's one of those N versus N^2 things, and that can extend to every time a structure is accessed because of how lists may or may not be implemented in memory. If you see an identifier, it can never be out of order in a data file. If you don't see an identifier, it's likely the row number, internally, is the identifier. I usually don't do that, but some of the schedules I've had for a long time. Over the years, I've learned that the only optimizations really worth doing are in that N versus N^2 category. That wasn't the case when I started. Compilers have become really, really good with respect to in-line optimizations.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote