View Single Post
Old 02-19-2023, 04:02 PM   #10887
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It's crazy to back to the beginning of pandemic and think "this is where we ended up".

The politicians on the right that turned this into something political, quite literally, have hundreds of thousands of deaths on their hands.
Is it that crazy though? American society values convenience over indirect or diffuse health threats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by https://forums.operationsports.com/fofc/showpost.php?p=3268502&postcount=940
I'm good with a short term ban if I had any confidence there was a long term solution, but I don't even think there is a good plan in place let alone a solution.

It seems like we're going to voluntarily go into a recession, shut down schools for 14-30 days etc, and my question is what happens when that initial period is over & Coronavirus is clearly still not contained, but also a very low mortality threat to anyone under 50? (Especially if our President & leadership is still focused on hiding cases instead of fixing it.)
I've got plenty of bad takes and Trump/Republicans made it worse than I figured but that much always seemed obvious to me. The loud voices who refused to put a mask on for 15 minutes in the grocery store or on public transportation were always assholes and we never wanted to have the societal conversation about what we considered acceptable deaths but the silent majority also voted with their actions and showed they had a higher risk tolerance for themselves, their social circles, and especially society as a whole than people want to admit. If this thread has just become a place to vent that's cool, sometimes we all need that, but if the goal is to do better now and long term it seems the most pertinent thing is figuring out how to convince people it's a serious enough threat they should individually choose more risk-averse behaviors. And unfortunately any top down solution will only be perceived paternalistically so organically just keeping the information about long covid out there in front of people seems to be the best solution. It's a bad one, but like my grandma always said you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him wear a condom to reduce the risk of disease transmission if he tries to fuck it.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote