View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 03:28 AM   #283
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Since he was traded, his next contract can still be a very large one if he stays with New Orleans, no? Has Boogie been an all-NBA player at least once the past three seasons? Too lazy to look it up but wouldn't shock me.

If so, that is a LOT of money to leave on the table to leave New Orleans.
Wasn't eligible for the designated player extension with New Orleans since he was traded after his rookie deal, but they're the only ones who can offer him a 5 year deal (and reportedly were ready to offer him the 5/$175m-ish max).

I don't think it's a guarantee by any means, but not sure why Vince thinks he isn't re-signing there or this makes it less likely. He seemed to like playing there, playing with Davis, and is from relatively nearby (yeah, Alabama is different culturally than New Orleans, but it's still southern and he isn't clamoring to play in a big city.) And more importantly, I think other teams will be hesitant to offer even a 4 year max to a 28y/o coming off an Achilles tear, while New Orleans is likely to say screw it, we still need to offer him the full max (a.k.a. how Jrue Holiday could basically name his price last offseason).

And don't get me wrong, I love Anthony Davis to Boston rumors as much as the next guy, but New Orleans would be crazy to trade him unless/until he's in the last year of his deal and he's saying he won't re-sign. (Right now he has 2.5 years left.) And I'm not sure anyone else on that roster has positive trade value... maybe E'Twaun Moore could get a 2nd round pick?

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-27-2018 at 03:29 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote