View Single Post
Old 12-03-2022, 09:01 AM   #1571
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I've been moved in the opposite direction. It'll mean games like Michigan-Ohio State, many SEC championships, etc. with top teams late in the season don't really mean anything because both teams are making the playoffs anyway so there isn't as much at stake. Basically the larger the playoff field gets the more the regular season is devalued. The only real 'fix' is one that will never happen - enforcing balanced conferences.

I don't think it's accurate to say Utah wasn't playing for anything - they were playing to go to the Rose Bowl again, which they get to do now.
So, playing in the Rose Bowl is playing for something, but being your conference champion isn't? That's some weird logic.
Georgia was National Champions last year, and I can tell you it still bothers me we didn't win the SEC. That belt may not be AS important as the NC, but it still important. At least to fans of the teams it is. Even if the SEC championship game may hurt Georgia's position in the playoffs some years, or even possibly eliminate them, I would still want them playing in that game. I can tell you right now there are plenty of Bama fans that would rather be watching their team playing for the possibility to win the SEC than hoping something crazy happens to get them in a playoff.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote