View Single Post
Old 01-05-2023, 09:45 AM   #2079
Edward64
Head Coach

From same article.

Quote:
Bobby Petrino is not an assistant coach. There will be power struggles between he and Fisher, and there will be a winner and a loser.

Understand this: Petrino is a terrific coach. He will whip the offense into shape, and they will score points — but the interaction between 2 mega personalities won’t work, and will eventually bleed over into the locker room and on the field.

The losses will mount while the offense will be among the SEC’s best. At some point, someone will have to answer.

Take a wild stab in the dark who gets fired? I’ll give you a hint: the guy with $80-something million remaining on his contract.

Not interim Aggies coach Bobby Petrino.

I would like to know if that quoted Petrino assistant was a holdover from Houston Nutt. That was a very, very acrimonious firing. I'll be honest, I don't recall reading much of players hating him (Hogville is the forum I visit most) back then. We were all bedazzled by seeing a damn passing game (Houston Nutt was more like run left, run right, run middle).

The articles main point is 2 big egos, won't work. Probably a lot of truth to that. But if Petrino can get A&M into Top-10, fans won't care (well, they probably will then want to be in Top-4).

Bottom line. Yes, this experiment could well fail. Yeah, Petrino is an asshole. There are plenty of HC assholes. A successful program will supersede the asshole stuff (well, short of phyical violence like Bobby Knight or molestation like PSU)

And if, as the article hints at, Petrino takes over when Jimbo is fired. May not be a bad thing. Give Petrino 2 years and let's see

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-05-2023 at 09:48 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote