View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #20
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinD View Post
On a related point, it would be good to see the 'want winner' and 'loyalty' rating given more importance in the free agent/contract/salary cap process, e.g. players with high 'want winner' will be very unwilling to sign for a bottom-feeder team, and may be more likely to sign with a successful team (possibly on a reduced contract), players with high 'loyalty' are more likely to stay with their current team, or are more likely to agree to restructure their contract when their team is in cap trouble. This should ideally be coupled with improved feedback between player and team in contract negotiations, along the lines of the suggestions from gstelmack (e.g. 'While Team X are offering more money, I'm going to sign for your team because I see you as a playoff team, while Team X haven't had a winning season in 5 years.') At the moment, I suspect that many players simply ignore these ratings because they have very little apparent impact on what happens in the game.

Martin

Not everything in the game needs to model real life, of course, but I have the sense that, in real life, the majority of players just follow the most money.

We tend to notice the aging vet who signs with the Patriots in order to win a ring, or the guy on a bottom feeding team who sulks until he is traded. But I think that we notice those because they are rare. We tend to forget about the 99% of free agents that season who quietly signed where the $$ was the best.

Again, as a gamer, I think that your idea sounds like a lot of fun. But I also think that it would sacrifice some element of realism.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote