View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 06:37 PM   #132
Critch
lolzcat

I've had Stellaris since it came out, and I've kept up with all the many paid DLC packs, but it's never really caught me. I'd start games, last somewhere between 10 and 60 years, and then get distracted and wander off to something new. I'd never seen a "mid-game crisis" never mind an "end-game crisis". With the latest patch I thought I'd start again and after one abortive start (my empire was trapped between two seriously over-powered Marauder Empires) I finally got into the game.

I started off by picking a cute portrait for my species, a little furry rodent-y guy with floppy ears from the Mammalian group. I then went for a race set-up that fitted in with a rodent motif: positive traits were adaptive and rapid-breeding, negatives were weak, short life-span, and slow learners. I chose Egalitarian (mice don’t have kings) and Fanatically Pacifist (a bad mistake it turned out), and my Space-Mouse empire was ready to scurry and squeak all over the galaxy.

The galaxy was the largest available, 1600 systems in a 4-armed spiral. My rodent empire, The Eeeep Mandate popped up in the south of the galaxy about midway between the center and the edge, but with adaptive and rapid-breeding traits they were soon colonizing/infesting almost every planet they found in the search for minerals. Before long they bumped into neighbors, Honorbound Warriors (who hated the Eeeep for being pacifist cowards), Authoritarian Fungoid people (who hated the Eeeep for being an Egalitarian rabble), and the Ancient Caretakers Fallen Empire (who were too powerful to care much about the new space-faring species).

Roll forward 200+ years and The Eeeep Mandate had spread all over the south of the galaxy, everywhere south of the starting spot to the galaxy's edge was part of the empire from the border with the Honorbound Warriors in the east to an Authoritarian Kingdom in the West, the Eeeep had 30+ colonies and 14 habitats spread over 200 systems. The Authoritarian Fungoid people were still there, but they liked the Eeeep now as they had been kicked around by everybody until the Eeeep guaranteed their independence to save them and keep them as an indebted buffer-zone. The powerful Ancient Caretakers were still in their original spot, but now completely surrounded by Eeeep territory, and they still didn't care. Thanks to an alliance with a Curator Enclave bringing research bonuses, the Eeeep had technology and military that were far stronger than all but the Fallen Empires.

While the north and center of the galaxy had been in constant turmoil, Eeeep and the neighbors had enjoyed constant boring peace. Our neighbors hated us but weren't powerful enough to do anything about it with the Eeeep couldn’t take advantage of their might as being Fanatical Pacifists they couldn’t be involved in anything but defensive wars. So, years of dull standoff. Even when the Honorbound Warrior Kingdom fell apart in civil wars ending up as 4 different factions, the Eeeep couldn't get themselves involved in the fun.

While the rest of the galaxy burned in a "War in Heaven" between Fallen Empires and their allies, the Eeeep Mandate sat on the sidelines in peace.

And then a bad thing happened, the Synthetic Dawn End Crisis. I didn’t read about the End Crises to avoid spoilers (warning - don’t read the rest of this paragraph if you're avoiding End Crisis spoilers) so I wasn’t sure what to expect from a robotic rebellion but to be on the safe side the Eeeep dismantled all their robotic populations (no great hardship, less than 1% of the empire) and waited. Unfortunately, one of the Contingency (the synthetics rebellion) bases popped up in the middle of Eeeep territory and churned out multiple powerful fleets. the Eeeep might have been able to fight that off but the Ancient Caretakers (who were also synthetic AIs) joined the Synthetic Dawn uprising and churned out multiple powerful fleets too. While the Eeeep Mandate fleets had a total power of about 140k split into 5 fleets, the Synthetic side had a single fleet of 140k plus 9 other fleets ranging from 60k to 90k. It was quick and one-sided (not helped by me messing up the Eeeep counter-attack and losing fleets), and within months the Synthetics were rolling around the defenseless Eeeep colonies like a huge empire-wide pest exterminator. The Eeeep surrendered, a popup "game over" message and a great space-faring empire came to an end. Reading up on Synthetic Dawn afterwards, the Ancient Caretakers normally fight against the uprising, so them joining the rebellion was bad luck.

So back to the beginning. Now I'm an Authoritarian Militarist Kitteh-cat Kingdom ready to kick ass and not make the mistakes the cowardly mice made.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote