General Manager

The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

Directed By: James Whale
Written By: William Hurlbot
Starring: Boris Karloff, Colin Clive, Valerie Hobson
Length: 75 min.
Genre: Horror / Monster

1936 Oscar Nominee: Best Sound, Recording

I suppose whether you like this or not depends on if you think a talking monster (even if it is basic) who understands English is lame or not. I lean heavily towards lame.

So the movie picks up right after the last one ended. You know, the movie where both the Monster and Dr. Frankenstein both die. Well, they don't. Dr. Frankenstein is taken by the mob to the village where it's discovered he's actually still alive, barely.

And even though the Monster is killed when a burning building on top of a hill collapses, it turns out there's a massive pit underneath the mill, and the Monster survives. He then kills several people while making his escape.

Dr. Frankenstein visits another doctor, Septimus Pretorius, who has been doing his own experimenting, and Pretorius wants to create a mate for the Monster by growing a brain.

During that scene, Pretorius shows Frankenstein several small people he created. It's a neat demonstration of the visual effects technology of the time, but it felt really out of place. It goes on for several minutes and is never mentioned or referenced again in the movie. Just a weird "let's show off our visual effect talent" scene.

Wanna-be writers like me have heard the phrase "kill your darlings". That sequence should have hit the cutting room floor, even if it was interesting.

So like I said, the Monster talks. By the end of the movie he's speaking in simple sentences and...it just doesn't work for me. Him yelling single words is fine but in the last scene when he's talking, albeit in 2 or 3 word sentences, I hated it. And then I burst out laughing. Until then it was still an ok monster movie, but the ending killed the movie for me even more.

But most people seem to really love it.

My Rating: 4 / 10
IMDB Rating: 7.8 (43k votes)
Rotten Tomatoes: 98% Critics (45-1), 87% of Audience (10k+)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote