General Manager

So where was I....

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)

Directed By: Frank Lloyd
Written By: Talbot Jennings, Jules Furthman, Carey Wilson
Starring: Charles Laughton, Clark Gable, Franchot Tone
Length: 132 min.
Genre: Action Adventure
Based On: 1932 Novel "Mutiny on the Bounty" by Charles Nordhoff and James Normal Hall

1936 Oscar Winner: Best Picture
1936 Oscar Nominee: Best Actor: Clark Gable
1936 Oscar Nominee: Best Actor: Charles Laughton
1936 Oscar Nominee: Best Actor: Franchot Tone
1936 Oscar Nominee: Best Director: Frank Lloyd
1936 Oscar Nominee: Best Screenplay
1936 Oscar Nominee: Best Film Editing
1936 Oscar Nominee: Best Music, Score

Based on a novel that is based on a real mutiny on the HMS Bounty in 1789.

The three main characters are Captain William Bligh (Charles Laughton), Roger Byam (Franchot Tone) and Lt. Fletcher Christian (Clark Gable). Bligh is established and a brutal captain from the start of the movie, where a man had been sentenced to a number of lashings. When the man dies during the punishment, Bligh orders that the lashings continue until all of them have been given. Christian continuously tries to keep Bligh from being too cruel, and the character of Byam is set in between them. On one hand, he thinks Bligh is very brutal, but on the other hand, he has an unshakable loyalty to the chain of command.

On the voyage, they continue to show Bligh being brutal, punishing men in very creative ways that when they die left me thinking "the fuck you think was going to happen?" I though Charles Laughton did a great job with the role, but the character is just way too much. I'm sure they were trying to establish a conflict between being loyal and being loyal to someone like Bligh, but I thought it went too far. I felt no empathy for any of the characters who remained loyal or even the ones that were conflicted over the mutiny. The typical audience of the mid 1930s might have felt differently than me, though.

The real Captain Bligh wasn't nearly the deranged lunatic as the character in this movie. In fact, no one died from any of the punishments from the real Captain Bligh. When compared to the movie, the real events on the HMS Bounty seem pretty tame. That story would have provided a very good shades-of-gray conflict, not this one-side-is-obviously-the-good-guys conflict.

Overall though, the movie was a really good adventure. There was a lot of entertaining back and forth between Bligh and Christian as Christian kept trying to keep Bligh from going too far with his discipline. Laughton and Gable made a great pair.

My Rating: 7 / 10
IMDB Rating: 7.7 (22k votes)
Rotten Tomatoes: 93% Critics (39-3), 84% of Audience (5k+)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote