View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 04:19 PM   #429
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

After grabbing a couple small sandwiches, we settle back into the office...and I explain my position...

"I think we need to address some weaknesses or we are going to not only get caught from behind but run over."

"What weaknesses?" Howser asks.

"We'll to start with Bo has been terrible...He can't seem to get anyone out."

"He's our only true lefty in the pen" Howser calmly reminds me.

"We could put Williams in the pen."

"You could," he shrugs, "but you know as well as I that he's built more to start and even though he can pitch relief, he isn't built for late innings or long stents out of the pen."

"Well don't we have a lefty on the farm team that can get the job done?" I ask.

"We are in first by 4 games, I haven't looked at what's going on down there." But that's not the only thing that is bothering you, is it?"

"No, I'm not happy at our middle infield. Don't get me wrong, Nights has been fantastic, but Terp is struggling to stay above .100 and our second base situation is a disaster."

"Treacy is hitting great." Howser counters.

"But fielding terribly, and he has no range in that spot. I think he's actually better in left field. I like his versitility, but as a starting second basemen in this league, he's lacking defensively. I had high hopes for Barrett, he did well in spring, and I like his game, but he's really had a hard time."

"Anything else..." Howser asks, almost as if he's a psychiatrist.

"Well, Ton's be bad, Gonzalez isn't hitting for power, Fouts isn't getting it done..." I look up to see Howser nodding dutifully. I stop mid-sentence and just stare at him.

After about 30 seconds he says..."You finished?"

I nod

"Feeling better?"

I nod

"Good, I'm heading home. Traffic should be ok by now." Howser says matter of factly.

As he turns to walk out I yell, "Thank you."

He answers without turning around, "All part of the job."
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote