View Single Post
Old 08-09-2022, 07:49 AM   #5541
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I would have liked it if the GOP had reacted to this with more of a wait and see approach.

The immediate call to arms is depressing.

Linsday Graham's Twitter is toeing that I expect the "mainstream" GOP line to be: we should be suspicious of any investigation but we'll see what it turns up mixed with the whining that it's too close to an election (which is rich from the "buttery males" party).

However, it's so hard to see where the "mainstream" ends and the crazy begins. I expected the Greens and Boeberts of the world to do their stupid shtick. But to see, say, Marco Rubio going hard after it. Or Cornyn retweeting Kevin McCarthy's threat of eternal investigations towards Garland and the White House. That's not a good look. I get that they've been caught flat footed, that they were not brought in on this and that always makes Senators whiny. But whiny and kneejerk "defund the FBI" and calls to violence are two different things. The Senators know that the FBI likely doesn't go in there, on a case of this magnitude, without an airtight case that both Wray and Garland signed off on and that they wouldn't be notified for risk of screwing up this high profile of a case.

I wonder if there is significantly more to this story than Trump kept some classified documents. Like I'm not sure all the big people involved in this sign off to go after Trump for something like that - it probably won't stick, even if it should. My leading candidate is still that he was caught selling secrets, but I just don't know where this goes.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote