View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 10:39 AM   #805
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

World Team Cup Finals

Headed into the final, France was hot on our tail with less than a 50-point gap, meaning that if we lost against a nation featuring two of the top three players in the world, our long reign as the #1 tennis country in the world was over. That was the expected result, but it being held on clay left us with some chances.

** Monday - Dudwadkar d. K. Kaspar, 2-6, 7-6(10), 6-4, 7-6(2). A tense and vital match to be sure, esp. that second-set tiebreak which threatened to put Ritwik down two sets. Almost dead-even by the stats; Dudwadkar was a little better after a bad first set. Overall points to the Black Prince, 145-142. A huge win here.

** Tuesday - M. Kaspar d. S. Chiba, 6-2, 3-6, 7-6(4), 6-2. Expected, but at least he had to work for it some. Tied at 1, it's now a best-of-three.

** Wednesday - A. Mehul/G. Kansai d. J. Ardant/I. Rumaintsev, 7-6(7), 7-5, 3-6, 6-0. I honestly expected more from the French doubles, but this puts us one win from the title. Even at 43, Mehul is still playing a key role of the national team.

** Thursday - R. Dudwadkar d. M. Kaspar, 4-6, 6-7(4), 6-2, 6-3, 6-3. Incredible comeback, and even moreso to beat both of them in the same week! After going down 2-0, Dudwadkar really dominated the back end of the match. One wonders if the 31-year-old Mateo had physical issues. In any case, for the first time in three years we're back on top, and the #1 spot in the nation rankings is clinched!

** Friday - K. Kaspar d. S. Chiba, 6-7(1), 6-3, 7-6(4), 6-1. Another four-set loss. Chiba was a serious customer in both but they end up as instructive defeats. I'd hoped he could get one, as I didn't think we'd win without that happening. Fortunately I ended up being wrong about that.

Sri Lanka defeats France, 3-2!! They've been world champions the last two years so it's great to restore the 'proper place' of things.

2060 Nation Rankings

1. Sri Lanka - 2599
2. France - 2457
3. United States - 2439
4. Argentina - 2243
5. Spain - 2051
6. Germany - 1979
7. Chile - 1965
8. Croatia - 1918
9. Russia - 1827
10. Thailand - 1812

Morocco drops to 13th after making this list last year.

Playoffs

** Canada(14th) vs. Germany(6th) - Despite the rankings, Germany is trying to get back in the top tier. Henri Sorel(33rd) is the only Top 50 player on either team, but the Germans have better balance and it was enough to get them a narrow 3-2 victory. The Canadians are demoted.

** Croatia(8th) vs. Australia(22nd) - Both came in as Tier 1 nations having fallen on hard times. Svajnovic did enough to lead Croatia to a 3-2 win, and Australia goes down.

** The Netherlands(18th) vs. Finland(37th) - Veini Aikio(12th) fails in his quest to keep the Fins up with no help. He didn't lose a set, but nobody else for his country won one in a 3-2 loss.

** Thailand(10th) vs. Mexico(17th) - Interesting matchup as both are good enough to play in the top tier. They met in the Level 2 final with Thailand winning 3-2; here that result was reversed, and this is the one that matters most. The grass surface was a determiner as much as anything. Both have a high-ranking player(#13 Castegali for Mexico, #18 Prachuab for Thailand) and a second that is credible. Mexico goes up, but I'd expect to see Thailand back next year for another crack at it and hopefully a more favorable draw.

Lots of movement as someone was promoted or demoted in each matchup. Next year we're in Group 2 with the United States(3rd), The Netherlands(18th), and the Phillipines(23rd). So we might not win the group against the USA, but we're in no danger of losing early.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote