View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 02:52 PM   #265
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I can't wait for the draft. I'm very interested to see how it plays out for the Lions. I can think of a few interesting scenarios:

1. If 4 QBs are drafted 1-4, then that leaves a combination of Sewell, Chase, Pitts, Smith and Waddle for picks 5-7.

It seems like the choice would be really among Pitts, Sewell, or Chase. Any of those picks could make sense.

If Sewell dropped, the Lions would actually have the foundation of a pretty good offensive line with Decker, Ragnow and Sewell. Jonah Jackson was a pretty good rookie at guard last year, so that could actually be a position group of strength, which isn't a bad thing.

The Lions have a huge need at WR. Tyrrell Jackson and Breshad Perriman aren't number one receivers. And it's pretty much them and Cephus, a 5th round pick last year. Chase would immediately be the Lions best WR. That being said, when you have a team as terrible as the Lions currently are, it's tough to try to build back up to relevance through wide receivers.

The same logic would hold for Pitts. He seems like an amazing talent and looks like more an offensive weapon then you're traditional tight end, meaning both he and Hockenson shouldn't have trouble being on the field at the same time. If the Lions drafted Pitts, it would be the third time the Lions drafted a TE in the Top 10 in only a handful of years. No one does that.

2. If 4 QBs are drafted 1-4, and one of those QBs is Mac Jones (presumably to the 49ers), that could leave either Fields or Lance available to the Lions at 7. I doubt Goff is the long term answer, so the Lions could draft the remaining QB or trade back and get more picks.

I love the idea of getting a QB of the future. Treading water with Goff doesn't excite me in the slightest. The Lions, also, have a terrible defense with very little skill and speed. So, trading back, getting a solid defender while gather more picks to help build this thing back up does make some sense as well.

I'm hopeful that Brad Holmes does the right thing here, mainly because it's his first year and I haven't yet lost faith in him. At a minimum, at least he is publicly keeping all of his options open - talking about QBs, going to pro days, not tipping his hand, etc. This a very different approach to Quinn who, last year, all but told everyone in the league they were staying at 3 and taking Jeff Okudah.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote