View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #251
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I have 10 picks already in the draft.

I have trade offers for Severson and Glover for high 2nd round picks. I decide to take both.

I freed up some cap room, got a couple of chumps in the deals. And now I have moved some of the older Oline players. They were taking up a lot of my cap, and they let through a lot of sacks last year. Disturbingly so. I cut the chump QB I was traded.

I now have 32 million in cap room from those two moves. That’s a lot of breathing room to allow me some space to sign some of my players.

I move to figuring out which ex-draftees I need to keep.

I extend Kadanoff’s contract by three years, which jumps his salary up immensely. With Torres a question mark, I need to keep the All Pro 1st year DE on my team. Even if he doesn’t have the best skills. I suspect we’ll see a drop in his sack numbers over time, though.

P Steve Washington’s contract is extended by 2 more years.

I extend Wells by two years. That way, I have kept one OG and traded the other. That strikes me as quite fair.

I trade LB Conrad O’Neal to the Steelers for their 3/6 pick this year.

I extend LB Monty Joseph‘s contract by two years. This costs us a lot o’ money against this year’s cap.

I make a decision that I hate hate hate, but I have to make it.

I trade C Gerald Wright o the Packers for their 5th round/18th selection this year.

Now I have to great Cs on my roster, but again, I have one in the final year so…

I trade C Wally Covington to the Raiders for their 5th rounder next year.

Now I have a good C on my roster, just in his second year, and ready to develop.

Now I have the following players to make decisions on :WR Donald Wagner, OT Ellis Marshall, DE Christian Torres, DT Roosevelt Wilber

I resign Wagner to a 3 year deal that jumps his contract up to the 9 million category.

I add one year to Torres’s contract

I add one more year to Wilbur’s contract. But that jumps him up to real OT money for this and that year.

Wilber is better than any DT in FA this year. The fear is that I might draft someone better, but I doubt free agency will give me someone better. I am going to keep him through the draft and see what’s up after that.

We have 37 players under contract and 14 picks to bring us to 51 players total. We are 24 million under the cap. A good place to be.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote