View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #67
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

12.30 -- The Indonesian Cup is drawn and we will take on Premier side PSM Makassar. It certainly could have been a kinder draw, I was hoping for a lower-division side and a chance to at least get through a round this year. They are 12th(out of 16) in Group B so at least not a particularly strong side, maybe we have a chance.

We'll play the away leg first.

January

Yogi's 10 goals tie him for 6th in First Division at the midway point, Engel Ewangin has 6 assists(T-4th) and Sutanto 5(T-9th). Frans Yarangga's 4 yellow card bookings put him in a tie for first with Uho Rohana(Persebangga, also in Group D), not exactly the kind of thing you want to stamp on a resume.

Overall, our Top 100 First Division players are Yogi(10th), Sutanto(27th), Herlan(35th), Ewangin(43rd), Saputra(53rd), Muda(77th), Saragih(82nd), and Yarangga(93rd). Of course, such evaluations are inevitably highly biased by the overall success level of the team, but it still speaks well of us to have eight players on the list.

The top player in our group is Franklin Siegers(Perssis), and having played them recently I find it difficult to disagree.

Training -- Saragih and Saputra did well(Tactics for each), fitness for Ningmabin/Kasipmabin/Urwan was a negative. Urwan is the only one I really care about, and he said he would prove that he could do better. Good answer.

The board upgrades their attitude to 'very pleased' and considers my job 'very secure' even though I'm still on a month-to-month deal. Last year's disappointments play only a small part now, they have described our performance this year(accurately) as 'fantastic'. Ferry Kombo is not as good as the fans would like, and we lost another 231M for a debt of 2.65B, 7.9B if you count the loan for the new ground which is now halfway completed.

Cristiano Ronaldo wins world player of the year, narrowly edging Messi(who claimed the World Golden Ball) and Leighton Baines.

JANUARY STANDINGS

Persibom(26 pts, +16)*
Persiss(23 pts, +12)

Persigubin(20 pts, +13)
PSKT(17 pts, -1)
Persisko(16 pts, +4)
Persipon(16 pts, +2)
Jakarta Timur(16 pts, +1)
Persebangga(14 pts, +4)
Persip(11 pts, -9)
Yahukimo(10 pts, -11)
Persenga(7 pts, -12)

Persemalra(3 pt, -16)

At the midway point we are the bottom rung on a pretty clearly delineated Top 3, we should be right up there with them based on goal differential but our inability to win the won game has cost us. We are the top-scoring team in Group D(29 scores, the same amount we had in the entire season last year), but have been distinctly average at best defensively after our brilliant start to the year.

Meanwhile, the mighty have truly fallen and Persemalra looks prime for demotion after being unfortunate to not make the Premier Division promotion last year. No wonder the coach got fired, how humiliating! There's a pack of 5 mid-table teams behind us waiting to catch us if we slip, and the bottom four are pretty much all in the same non-competitive boat. Right now the Group divides pretty well into theose three groups.

Aside from the two Indonesian Cup fixtures, we also have four league contests this month against Persenga(11th), Jakarta Timur(7th), Persip(9th), and Yahukimo(10th). We need a big month as once again we'll face the tougher teams towards the end of the cycle, and both Persibom and Persiss will be on the road. We need to have confidence and a better points situation than we have right now going into the final months of the year, and right now is our chance to get another strong run going. We have a puncher's chance of qualifying for Second Phase, we've been good enough to put ourselves in that conversation, but the margin for error is pretty small now.

With the tough draw in the Indonesian Cup, I'll be forming our squads in the congested next couple of weeks to focus on doing well in our league matches. If we get destroyed by PSM so be it -- we've got bigger fish to fry.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote