View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #72
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

1.12 vs. PSM(Indonesian Cup, Second Leg) 15M plus whatever additional prize money we can scrounge up is on the line here. After a 1-0 defeat a week ago, we need to win here(by two unless we shut them out, otherwhise we'll lose on away goals). We'll start with a counterattack as our goal, safe but not too safe. A little tired still, but we can rest for the next two weeks after this one.

PSM are 4-6 favorites.

Good reaction from Saragih and Saputra as I tell the team to continue the good play from our last game.

2' -- Two-man game with Saragih and Herlan, then a nice cross from Saragih, Ewangin gets his head to it smoothly ... off the right post and out. Everything but the goal. As usual.

6' -- Herlan delivers a corner to Praestyo at the near post, but he can't control it.

13' -- Lazy coverage, and Saifulloh gets a close one but at a bad angle. Blocked by Setia, a corner is well hit but Yogi is there first and clears.

20' -- We're off to a good start, and though I'm hesitant to do so I tell the guys to push the attack more. Midfield has been strong, but I'll keep the back line deep. After all, a draw doesn't help us we need to win. A freekick from 30 goes high for them, though it was a noble attempt.

27' -- We stay on the attack, Ewangin gets a bit of a look in the right side, weak and right to the keeper. They're much better than most of our First Division foes at closing the gaps in their defense ... which is probably why they're a level up of course.

32' -- Turnovers back and forth, then Ewangin with a nice lead for Yogi, he runs on it in the middle of the area and scores to the right corner! No chance for a save on that one, and we take the lead 1-0.

And now the question, do we play for penalties(the decider if this score holds) or for the outright win? The way we're playing right now, controlling it well, it's not a real question.

33' -- Less than a minute later, Prasetyo challenges upfield, nobody fills his spot, and Mandowen's strike from just inside the area goes upstairs with nothing Setia can do. 1-1. Go figure.

Well, now we have to win by two. There's no choice, we've got to keep the pressure on. Two minutes later, Mandowen has a similar look but misses.

HT -- 1-1, we're getting a bit tired, so are they. Chances are hard to come by, shots are 5-6 and we've had possession for 54% so nothing wrong with how we're playing. What can I do but tell them to keep going?

We're practically living in their end, keeping the pressure on, and get nothing for it initially.

58' -- Only good positioning keeps them from getting a near-post score on a corner,.

62' -- Through ball to Mandowen, we converge and knock it away, Afriyanto is on it and fires, but Kombo is in the right place at the right time to block it! Not that it matters since two players come uncovered on the following corner, he's one of them and heads it in easily. 1-2, and you can stick a fork in us since we'd need three in less than 30 minutes to pull this one off.

67' -- Angled look for Afryianto, Setia with the save. I bring on fresh legs, Ningmabin for Herlan, Bayhaqi for Yogi. A freekick by Yarangga is horribly off.

81' -- Iskandar's wide with a long one. We're still controlling possession but not getting anything resembling a good shot.

82' -- There's one, Saragih with a cross to Ewangin in front, not quite enough on the header and a diving save.

84' -- Kombo centers for Bayhaqi, Aras gets his foot in at the last minute ... and it squirts into the area, Ewangin is there first and he scores! We're tied at 2, still down one on aggregate.

91' -- We get a corner. cleared easily but we hold it in. Can't get anything going.

FT -- A 2-2 draw that was somewhat fortuitous, 3-2 loss on aggregate. Much better than we did last year, and I won't apologize for a one-goal loss to a Premier side. 57% possession and shots were about even, their defense was just very sharp and disciplined. They showed us something on that score.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote